• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bucket Position Monitor...

George A

...for an excavator to check grade without using a grademan or having to climb out of my machine 30-40 times a day to do it myself.
Specifically asking about the unit offered by Ocala Instruments. ocalainstruments.com

They have a unit with 3 position monitors. 1 for the boom, 1 for the stick, and 1 for the bucket. The graphic monitor mounted inside the cab shows you bucket position and distance remaining to reach final grade. And, what I like is that it doesn't matter what position the boom,stick,bucket is in to be accurate. You can even program in slopes for swales or basins or for pipe trenching... whatever. I just need it for one simple grade of basement floor.

I dig many basements and would like to be able to do them quicker.

Anybody have any experience with this or any other system? Check out their website.
Thanks, George A

woberlin

Occupation
excavating contractor/bodyshop owner
Hi George, I've also looked at that site many times, and am very interested in that monitor for the same reasons. My only concern is that I rarely dig a basement on flat ground, and I don't know if the monitor will compensate for the slope without re-calibrating every time I move. Do you have any information about that?, as well as an approximate cost for the system. I have'nt contacted Occala yet, as that purchase is down the road. Thanks! Bill

George A

From what I understand they've updated their system by adding a laser receiver that mounts to the boom, and works with your spinning laser. So, as long as you are within reach/sight of the laser, it automatically recalibrates itself after you move the machine. This new system makes all the difference. I would not be interested in the old one.

I was given a price of a little over 12k installed. Give the guy a call, even though I am not the owner of the excavator, he took the time to answer all my questions and sent me a nice packet of information to pass on to the boss. Nice guy, no pressure.

What kind of digging do you do?

George A

woberlin

Occupation
I do mostly residential work, clearing lots, driveways, basements, utilities, rough & finish grade, and anything else that comes along. How about yourself? Occala is now on E-Bay, and I believe has the system your asking about for $7500. I just seen it a moment ago. It would really be nice, as I mostly work alone, and climbing in and out all day does get old!

George A

EBAY! I didn't think of that. I'll have to take a look. :thumbsup
I work for a company that does site work of all kinds. I'm on houseline mostly, and I am the guy that digs 99.5% of the basements. I'd have to add them up but I'm getting pretty close to 1,000 basements for the main builder that we work for. So I think that a system like this would be worth the money.

woberlin

Occupation
George, the E-Bay item # is 7610540935. Type that # into the search for box on the E-Bay home page and it will go right to it. It appears that it is occala itself selling them there, as they now also have an E-Bay store with their other products. Man, that's alot of basements! I definately think it would save your company some money, as well as making your job alot easier. I only do usually 5 or 6 a year. I will probably get one next year.

George A

Thanks,
I found it right after posting last time. Same system, but without the bells and whistles. That's why the lower price. The 12k included them coming out to install it also.
I'm digging a three unit townhouse today/tommorrow that had to be blasted. Well now the rocks are mostly football size and have very sharp edges. I had to climb down/up that hazard 22 times to check grade today. (Yeah, I counted.) :Banghead

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
Sounds like Caterpillar's new Accugrade Site Positioning System, available on the E Series backhoe loaders, may do what you guys are describing. Not sure if it's available on excavators yet. Here's a description among the Cat Backhoe Loader pages: http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=37840&x=7

L

jmac

I bought a Depth Master this summer and it has been great. Cost $1500 works off of my rotating laser, mounts to the stick by magnets. Has LED lights that tell you if the stick is plum and at grade. Has saved me lots of money from not having a stick man, worth every penny.

woberlin

Occupation
jmac, do you know what the website is for the depthmaster, or who sells them, Thanks.