• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bucket pins

IGSO-520

so I'm gonna be redoing the pins on my fiat-hitachi fr160.2 loader as you can see the pins are nonexistent parts for the loader are pretty much obsolete what I was going to do is make a boss to weld in there and just make a pin fit with no bushing the loader gets used very little my question is, is there a a weld in boss kit available with the pins and bushings to do it "the right way" or am I on my own on this

Attachments

• IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 54

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Is that as bad as it looks! welding in a boss won't last long as it needs all the metal behind it to take up the slack, That's either a lot of welding and some hand grinding or having someone come in and do it for you. If you know the length of the pins, you could find a machine that uses the same pin length and order pins and bushings aftermarket, then make the holes fit the new pins. A good project if you like welding, get that all built up decent, Else someone might suggest new ears. I might even be tempted to get some carbon rod the right diameter, use that as backing and weld the hole up snug around it then drill it out.

Delmer

I don't know of any "weld in boss kit". The problem would be that the holes wouldn't line up after you've welded them. That's why the standard line boring repair is so expensive, machined after welded.

Now, if this is junk that is not going to get fixed right, and not used much or hard, then you can weld it up tighter so it will sort of hold grease and it will do just fine for what it is. If you prefer to torch and weld in new, then you could have some bosses made and line them up with a long bar to tack into place. If possible put the pins in before you weld them up completely.

IGSO-520

When I did the pins on my bobcat the boss was so worn out they sold me new ones I cut out the old ones welded in the new ones pounded in new bushings and put it back together nothing like that for any machines John Deere Volvo or anything I wouldn't mind finding pins and bushings they use and making mine accept them

Maurice Muenks

Occupation
Owner of an independant heavy equiptment repair bu
so I'm gonna be redoing the pins on my fiat-hitachi fr160.2 loader as you can see the pins are nonexistent parts for the loader are pretty much obsolete what I was going to do is make a boss to weld in there and just make a pin fit with no bushing the loader gets used very little my question is, is there a a weld in boss kit available with the pins and bushings to do it "the right way" or am I on my own on this

First as bad as that looks the repair isn't going to be inexpensive. From what I see in the photo the one arm looks bent, (that might be the way the picture was taken). So you will have to straighten that first. Then since you will have to have new pins I would find some Cat pins that would fit and change everything over to that style. What you really need is some one with a line boring bar and bore welder and line bore both arm and bucket, and then install harden bushing and dirt seal with new pins which would make it as good as new. I do this for my customers that have older machinery that you can't get the proper parts for.

IGSO-520

Yeah it's bent any suggestions on straightening it out heat it up put the pin in and drive it against a tree is what I was gonna do I'll look in to the cat pins this week any suggestions on what cat loader I should get the pins from

Delmer

I was going to get some steel billets and throw them on the lath to make new bosses

Yes, I understand the question now. You're on your own.

I'd look at loaders in the same weight range, if Cat is too expensive you might look at Case loaders, or maybe even see if there's similar size pins on Case backhoes. Case stuff is cheaper and more available aftermarket from what I've seen.

Look up flame straightening to see how to straighten that arm. You don't have to get it terribly hot, and it's a controlled process. It would help to restrain the arm, but you don't have to move it under force. The expanding and shrinking does the straightening.

Maurice Muenks

Occupation
Owner of an independant heavy equiptment repair bu
Yeah it's bent any suggestions on straightening it out heat it up put the pin in and drive it against a tree is what I was gonna do I'll look in to the cat pins this week any suggestions on what cat loader I should get the pins from

What I usually do is to before I repair the old bore in a lift arm is take and old shaft or piece of cold roll about the size of the hole and take a 3 ton come a-long heat the arm up with a rose bud until cherry red. Then slip the shaft into it. put the come a-long on back to the frame some where so I can control the amount of force. May have to rewarm where it looks like it my start to kink. Then I use a straight edge to make sure it is straight, leave everything on it until it cools down. Most time I can't tell it was ever bent. Then repair the bore. If you can give me the size and length of the pin you are looking for I have a chart that someone gave me many years ago that I use to find what is needed.
Once you get every thing made and ready to weld the new bosses on get or borrow a piece of cold roll the size of the bores before you put the bushing in the new bosses and as longer than the arms are wide. Be sure that the arm is trimmed all the way to the middle on both sides. slip the bosses on the cold roll and support at the height so you can get everything square with the machine. Then tack in place use 7018 of better, keep track of how much you weld on each side of the boss while turning the cold roll by hand. It is going to pull back and forth(very time consuming). Let it set over night and then the next morning you should still be able to turn the bar. If you can't turn the bar then you need to figure out which one pulled too much. I can be done this way because that is the I was taught at a Cat dealer ship before I became self employed. Then I got smart and purchased a boring bar a bore welder.
Good luck.
Maurice
P.S. I'd give my web page that has some picture on it but I,m not sure that is allowed.