• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

brush cutter - articulating cutter - boom cutter --- question

kckc

Opinions or advice on articulating or boom cutters/mulchers

Hi
I really want an articulating cutter (in some sites its called a boom cutter) for my ASV SR80 - like a brush cutter on a backhoe arm. I found one at CID and one at Spartan Equipment. Problem is I can't rent one to try, can't find one to see and most of the local dealers who would order one have never seen one. I know there's an electrical hookup and some inside controls but can't seem to get more information. The dealers send me to ASV (Terex) and Terex hasn't responded to my questions.
This damn attachment seems to be handy handy handy! trim overhanging tree limbs, mow embankments or just use like a regular brush cutter.

Anyone with experience or know any other brands, please let me know. Thanks K

Lindsey97

cant say that I have seen a boom cutter in person, but I know which one you are looking at and have watched a few videos of it on youtube. seemed to be a handy well built machine. I think it comes with its own control, via joystick in a box for movement and 12v leads you wire into your machine to power the attachment.

I will say that I purchased a 72" CID extreme open front brushcutter from attachment depot on ebay and have been very pleased with it. paid 4194.00 shipped. I have cut 6" trees with it and mowed some very rough terrain with it such as creek banks and it is much better than a tractor.
the cutter is very well built and fit/finish is excellent. don't think I could have spent twice the $$ and have gotten a better brushcutter.

nknz

I have been to almost all big exhibition over the world. I know a canada brand is good.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . These were common in New Zealand back in the 'Eighties. The couple I checked out were just run with drive shafts from PTO.

They sure were effective, mowed the grass and ditches then turn them on their edge and trim those high hedges/windbreaks around Christchurch.

Cheers,

Randy88

Yes they do work, yes I have run them, they have a very limited use and purpose, very limited reach, in my opinion are very dangerous to run if doing anything very large in diameter and no I'd never buy one myself, don't think I'd take one if it were free, but that's me personally.

The rotating blades contain flying debris if the deck is on the ground, but once up in the air, everything goes everywhere and your spitting stuff in all directions. As for your intended purpose, most who have had one, didn't like it for the purpose they bought it for, or so I've been told, I have no idea what you intend to do with it, or your purpose, but I'll say this much, as for demoing one, or renting one, you won't find anyone who will do that, its a hint on the liability issues with them, even though most won't tell you that.

They do have their place, and if you use them for that purpose they work fine, but people get the idea they can do anything with them, and it gets expensive in a hurry, you have limited size and hp to work with and the smaller the diameter of stuff the better they work. What I've been told is this, if you can drive over the stuff with the skid steer, is about what you can mow with those mowers, as far as six inch tree's, if its a dry hardwood, yes it can do it, but the question is, for how long and how much will it cost in repairs, those decks and gear boxes are designed to mow brush and grass for long term use, not 2000 hours year in tree's six inch's in diameter and stumps 8-12 inches in diameter.

kckc

I've given up on getting one of these. Cost is not bad but resale might not be possible if I didn't like it. I wanted it for farm use. I have horse trails, some hillsides and hopefully a pond if I can get one put in. I thought this would be perfect to get higher tree limbs off of trails and do the hillsides but looks like I'm headed to a regular brush cutter. I see the 3pt attached ones on the highways and they just look so handy. :) thanks.

Porcupine29

Banned
kckc, CID Boom Cutter is like no other, if you call my friend at Mark Supply Co, he can hook you with a CID Boom Cutter and any other attachment, shipping should be reasonable for it will not be going very far. CID is all american made. the phone number is XXX XXX XXX, ask for nick

Last edited by a moderator:

kckc

Hey Porcupine... thanks for the info. CID is actually right here in NC. There were less than helpful on the phone and I couldn't even go see one in person. I found a distributor in MD that said they could make me an adapter so that I didn't have to use the separate controller. Since I haven't been able to rent, borrow or demo one I've decided to not buy one... just too much money without any true idea of whether I'd like or use it. Thanks for sending me the contact info though.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
KcKc,
re-read your post, and now have a couple more hours on my home made brush cutters (version 1.0 and 2.0)
And I'm learning allot of what can and can't be done with it.

Can I assume you do not have experience with any brand/style of brush cutter ?

I would suggest you purchase a "bog standard" regular brush cutter, and see how much work you can get done with it.

After a year of usage, make a list of wants and things the normal brush cutter can't do, work from there. That articulated arm arrangement is a whole bunch-O complicated machinery.

You may find you can get 99% of what you need done with it, if not, you do have a better time at re-selling the standard brush cutter.

Last edited:

ktdodson

I purchased the Spartan machine several months ago and recently got it up and running. I've been using it to cut around ponds and it's terrific. The banks have gotten away from me and there are some trees that are about 3" in diameter. The device would take care of it but I'm not going to risk tearing up the mower. But in the areas without trees I can easily cruise around the edges and hang the mower off the right and not worry about taking a bath with the tractor on top of me. I'm using it with the CAT 287C. I can post some before and after pics.

Seandncr

I too purchased the Spartan articulating brush cutter. It does what you would imagine it would do and then some. Yes I gambled in at you can't find one to try out beforehand, but after getting my loader setup properly and putting this machine to work, I was thoroughly surprised by its results. I maintain tree lines in common area around a subdivision. I have plenty of other work for it too, but this was the first most legitimate purpose for the machine. I had precut 4-6 inch trees with a chainsaw thinking it wouldn't really cut them, we'll I just wasted my time. The machine cut through them with no problem. Now I do no precutting with handheld devices. Yes it will cut 16 feet high with good stability if your loader is heavy enough. I use an old Case 1845C outfitted with solid filled tires, 2" wheels spacers, and LOEGGERING Steel tracks. I also built plexiglass enclosed cab with 1/2 Lexan glass door. Really the door is the most important thing to guard yourself wi. Yes it throws stuff everywhere but you can mulch the debris with this cutter too. I called Spartan and ordered it from the, directly. They sold it to me for a price less than advertised and even included free shipping December of 2014.

You have to take a gamble buying something you probably never have used, but it is worth the money. Especially if you are charging your jobs accordingly. One good job over the coarse of a few days will nearly pay for this attachment.

The important thing is to make sure you have the loader to run it. Hydraulics are not the issue, but weight of your machine, cab enclosure, and tracks are all pretty much necessary. My machine standard is light but I have beefed it up so that it is now very heavy. They recommend a 7000lbs am machine and yes you will need one at least that and even better if yours is far north of that.

Thing to keep in mind is that with this machine you need to just take your time using it. It makes your work go by VERY fast, but if you are swinging the arm from front to side, the hydraulics on the blade will slow down a bit and you'll have to wait a few seconds for the to spool up again on the 20psi> setup. It's really no big deal but you just have to work the machine with the frame of mind at you are doing a LOT of work considering what it does, but take your time cutting.

I would buy this machine all over again. It's expensive but well worth the money. Again if you are charging right, you will pay for it within a few jobs and will not even have broken a sweat.