• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Broken rear axle Mack dump truck

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
That's the cleanest break of one of those axles I have ever seen. I pictured a diagonal twisted fracture with all kinds of roughness and lots of metal chunks missing.

That's why I was questioning chances of just slipping a new axle shaft in and putting back to work.

I still might want to change the oil and check and clean magnetic plug(s) then after it has a few miles on it pull the magnetic plugs back out and see what there might be on them.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Yet those are the same people disassembling and ‘Polishing’ old taper roller bearing assemblies and welding broken crankshafts cams and blocks. Just saying a Little dubious of any life expectancy on any of those hours and hours of Fixes.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Here ya go

View attachment 308837View attachment 308838

Note the wide flat between splines that shows shallow spline axle.
Looks like a break on a Weyerhaeuser truck with the scored axles. It obviously isn't because you cannot see the indent of the scoring. They used to score them about a 1/32ed deep and about 2" in from the spline. Scoring them and putting the scored end at the hub reduces searching for parts in the rearend. It also speeds up removal and replacement.