• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Broken rear axle Mack dump truck

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The ones I remembered had These for Axle Ends

display.php

Newer Heavy Axles had these

MACK_AXLE-SHAFT-PARTS_AXLE-PARTS,-MISC_254076_3_2061174_2.webp

terex herder

Nah, its pretty small/useless for farming. Was hauling broken concrete from tearing down old building, then hauling dirt to fill in the hole. Finished hauling the dirt with wheel loader. I put a 1/4" floor in the bed so don't have to be super careful with the concrete.

terex herder

Broken axle shaft. Its easy for me to go catastrophizing about broken pinions or other expensive parts that would scrap the truck.

17 spline both ends, 39 11/16 long. No visible part number. I see several that fit that description on the net. Did Mack have few enough axles they are likely to fit? Or how to find a part number?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Should be a Rear Diff ID tag somewhere on it, if OE to truck Dealer should be able to ID by SN

Johndeere120

Used to work for a company and one day a guy who was new dumped dumped clutch and same thing happened. Axle shaft twisted and snapped. Easy fix but the problem is you really have to take it all apart now and clean it. I knew a guy who changed his and didn't get all the pieces and chewed up the bearings. It's a pain but if you do it right you'll have piece of mind. I would at least pull the axles it's pretty quick to do it and see if they're snapped if not somthing else inside broke but 99% it's the axle

terex herder

Ok, fixed now. Looks like at some time this axle shaft was in a wheel end where the bearings went out. Lots of scaring on the wheel end of the shaft and heat marks from rubbing. The shaft was a clean 90 degree break, not the elongated spiral usually associated with torsion failure. It didn't happen on this housing, as there was no scaring in the housing. If it hadn't broken this load, it would have happened shortly later. Not much left holding it together, and another break starting 1/8" away from this one.

This was a 17 spline axle both ends. And Mack has both shallow spline and deep spline in 17 splines.