• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Renfrew Div. Taylor57 I remember growing up at Port Renfrew , there use to be a Taylor that use to bring Movies into Renfrew and show them weekly in the old Community Hall it must have been going on for a long time as there was a projection room built into the building I think his name was Al Taylor any relation?

camptramp

Occupation
HDX in those days I was over the hills at Renfrew and wasn't aware of that situation at Caycues I can't swear on a stack of Bibles but I think Renfrew started widening their bunks out when the first Pacific P16 #6-260 arrived I was out camp inspecting around that time , but don't think the old 14 ft. preload trailers worked with the new wide track Pacific P16s

camptramp

Occupation
69hayes the answer is no . Some time in the early mid 1970's as BCFP was growing ,its only a guess but new equipment started showing up #6-meaning log truck #27 ment yarder #27-10 #27-13 # 27-23 #27-27 were all Madill 009 90ft. high lead steel towers the #27-28 was a Madill Grapple Yarder #16-14 was an American line loader #16-15 was a 7220 American line loader #16-23 was a Northwest line loader . There are exceptions The #16-4 was an American 7220 line loader bought as a loader then converted over to a grapple yarder ,but kept the same number.

69hayes

Occupation
Marine Engineer,
Thanks camptramp,when calling out miles do you use the 6 number in front of the truck number or just shorten it up to just the truck number, over here we used the H letter in front of the trucks number to mean a log truck when calling miles,

dirty4fun

Campttramp, once again thanks having some good numbers to work with makes it a lot clearer as to the size of those loads. That one load look like it is about 16' tall above the bunk. I can see how winding around the roads in the mountains it could be a mess in a hurry, when it is slippy, tippy, would make it flippy. Got to get out there to see this for myself, for sure next year.

camptramp

Occupation
dirty4fun RegretfullyI don't drive logging truck any more the last Off Highway load I hauled was several years ago I've got a picture of it I'll post on the Pacific page later on . But I'm sure if and when you get out this way we can get together with HDX and arange some thing. I drove highway logging truck pretty much steady from 2001 until 2008 when I took early retirement ( couldn't stand watching the new players running the Industry into the ground any longer) I have been filling in driving highway logging truck here and there but I mostly stay around home driving Gravel truck.

camptramp

Occupation
69hayes The roads we hauled on when I drove Off Highway Logging truck were considered private each camp had its own policy ,ours. was we checked in at certian check points , the loaded truck had the right of way and the empty truck was exspected to wait at a wide spot on road side . When the Lowbed was loaded with a machine it had the right of way which ever direction it was traveling . In the last couple of years the forestry has delegated certian VIH radio frequency's on roads on crown land and they are radio controled calling in up or down by the KM's

HDX

camptramp This radio crap is pure BS now!!!!! Forestry Channel -- Empty pick-ups and loaded pick-ups going up and down in every direction That clown in Victoria that thought up this brainfart sure as H#LL didn't have to listen to this all day long It use to be simple -- Loaded truck always has the right of way when he calls-- Empty's didn't call except when starting into a spur or another mainline. Now they call at every Christmas tree empty and loaded every kilometer. Gets to the point of just wanting to shut the radio off to avoid the constant radio pollution . First thing you are told is DO NOT DRIVE BY THE RADIO DUHHH I fear to think what would happen if somebodies radio stopped working Shut the truck down right there I guess Simply cant drive if you cant call every stump and tree. Worksafe has created this mess and they don't even monitor the radios. Most of the companies have two frequencies--one is truck to truck that will only reach a short distance and the other is long distance (Repeater Channel) that will reach very long distance. Only problem with this is everybody goes onto the repeater channel to ensure they get heard but whenever the call they are cutting off the trucks calling their call points on the truck to truck channel. Then when they meet you they say YOU DIDNT CALL!!! There is a lot of people out there that don't even posses basic radio skills and yet they make the most noise on the radios When you see a head on collision or a head on sideswipe --I promise YOU WILL NEVER FORGET IT When the investigation happens the first thing said is I DIDNT HEAR HIM CALL !!! I have seen 7 of these in my driving career with off highway trucks--one was a fatal and two others the driver had to be cut out of the trucks The last one where they were cutting the driver out the cutting torch started a fire in the lining of the cab and the driver almost burned to death before they got him out of the wreck Coleman Road H111 and H260 Radio's are a tool and if you don't know how to use them properly you should not have one. In our area of operations we are so overdue for a bad vehicle accident and yet nobody will address the problem. We have small highway trucks hauling out there now and some of the things I see I cant believe. I told one of the young fellas on the radio just after he slid to a stop crossways in front of me that we didn't have the jaws of life out here we use an HDX and a choker and tear the cab apart to get you out OH Yeah and it wont be me they are getting out of the wreckage. This is a sore spot and if I sound on edge because of it well maybe I just am I will take pictures and post them when the next one happens and it will SOON No such thing as radio protocol anymore Just go for it!!!!

camptramp

Occupation
Renfrew Div. 1969Scan140.jpgScan141.jpg HDX Hayes #6-232 The first Hayes preloader to arrive at Renfrew as a truck capable of loading its own trailer . It was also the first truck with a V12-71 Jimmy with an Allison transmission

camptramp

Occupation
HDX I could not agree more , my theory was if some one called back to say a pickup or highway truck was heading my way driving like a race car , P16 or HDX took the worry out of getting close . I hear of a lot of accidents and bad ones on roads that 20 years ago were a rarity now its a comon occurence,yea I've had a couple of trucks in the ditch but speed wasn't the cause ,it was parts failure or soft shoulders that got me . I've had a couple of what could have been bad run aways ( with preload trailers some one else had dropped off with problems some one else should have had fixed) but I kept them under control until I got them stopped on a flat spot. The radio night mare is the brain child of some back bencher in town trying to justify their job and some guy that drops into the area and can't figure out how to make a list of companies and radio channels in areas their visiting . Or can't figure out how to listen to a channel keep track of loaded log trucks and drive like theres a logging truck around every corner.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Regarding the 6-232 in post 770, I'll bet there was a long list of drivers wanting to be assigned to her, and a lot of politicking. :D

camptramp

Occupation
Renfrew Div. Vigilant there was a pecking order in place Tony Weber who was senior driver by a seniority system, who was driving the #6-212 was in line for a new truck ,got it .

camptramp

Occupation
Renfrew Div. Vigilant heres an interesting piece of information , when the 6-232 arrived with a V12 71 the #6-222 # 6-223 #6-224 #6-225 which had V8 Cummiuns in them with 4 X 4 standard trans. were converted to V12 71 Jimmy's with 6X4 trans . All the senior drivers were given a chance to spend time on the #6-232 , When asked what they prefered they chose the V12 71 with 6x4 standered trans. when the #6-236 #6-237 #6-238 #6-239 arrived they all had V12 71's with 6X4 standard trans. in them . When the #6-243 #6-244 arrived they had V12 71's Alison 6 speeds in them

camptramp

Occupation
Renfrew Div. #6-225 HDX Hayes logging truck being loaded by the #318 TL6 Washington Trakloader from a Madill 009 yarder looks like their using a shot gun system for yarding up hill.Scan148.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Renfrew Div. #6-232 loaded in the Lens Cr. canyon not a lot of room some places you look down out of drivers window you can barely see edge of road under running board, Its just a ledge blown out of solidScan151.jpg rock.

camptramp

Occupation
Renfrew Div. #6-231 HDX Hayes being loaded by #505 7220 American loader . Second picture is Ernie Harrison on #505 loader dragging a large Fir log up right of way Scan152.jpgScan153.jpgto load on #-231