• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bringing a D6D back to life.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
This old 6 was rusty even in the cylinders.One piston and liner giving me a fight.

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yep, looks like you got quite a project there. Will be interesting to see how it works out. :)

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Yep, looks like you got quite a project there. Will be interesting to see how it works out. :)

Well I hope it Purrs.One man said it would never run and work.Hope the jokes on him.
The owner said a Mechanic looking for a job told him number six couldn't be pulled with out removing the engine.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
D6d

Here is some more of ol Rusty.
Pics not showing up.

Last edited:

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
More pics.I hope.

Attachments

• D6D 008.JPG
    D6D 008.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 2,185
  • D6D 010.JPG
    D6D 010.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 2,181
  • D6D 002.JPG
    D6D 002.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 2,181
  • D6D 001.JPG
    D6D 001.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 2,192

boone

Did you have to use any special tricks to get #6 out? Those connecting rods haven't seen oil in awhile :eek:

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Did you have to use any special tricks to get #6 out? Those connecting rods haven't seen oil in awhile :eek:

Believe it or not #6 was the easiest one.Took my rebar and hit it with the hammer and out she come.Now #3 was a different story.Just got it out today.Piston and liner at the same time.Piston was stuck so bad.Not rust just a lot of carbon.

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Hi Bill
I was going to tell you that yes #6 can come out engine in place but you,ve found this out yourself; so laugh is on the other guys. Thats the beauty of a 3306 it can have a in frame overhaul; abit dirty and arkward but it can be done and then your back at work; and they still can do alot of work even 30 yrs after they were built. I see its got a sleeve metering fuel pump on it so pull the square cover off it to make sure its got no water or rust in there to cause you stress. US built D6Ds kept being made with these pumps; wereas allthe japanese built ones went back to the old scroll system; and then a interim scroll on the DI models.
A coat of paint and she,ll tidy up quite well. Do you intend to keep and work her or selll her ?
keep us posted and dont be shy with the camera
Merv

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Hi Bill
I was going to tell you that yes #6 can come out engine in place but you,ve found this out yourself; so laugh is on the other guys. Thats the beauty of a 3306 it can have a in frame overhaul; abit dirty and arkward but it can be done and then your back at work; and they still can do alot of work even 30 yrs after they were built. I see its got a sleeve metering fuel pump on it so pull the square cover off it to make sure its got no water or rust in there to cause you stress. US built D6Ds kept being made with these pumps; wereas allthe japanese built ones went back to the old scroll system; and then a interim scroll on the DI models.
A coat of paint and she,ll tidy up quite well. Do you intend to keep and work her or selll her ?
keep us posted and dont be shy with the camera
Merv
Well Merv she doesn't belong to me.Thats the good part I get paid to wake her up and not have to buy parts.He paid $5200.I think he is going to use it for awhile.Undercarriage is about 90%.This Machine sat near the Gulf at least two years.But so far most of the bolts let go think I broke three side panel bolt.But one bottom roller is leaking and I hope those bolts come out easy.

alco

That looks like a great project! I'd love to find an old girl just like that to tinker on.