• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bridge Work

Tanstaafl

Thought I'd post a couple pictures from the job I'm working on. We've got quite a few cranes on site.

First photo is Traylor Bros 200 ton Stiffleg derrick. We've got 300' of boom and 75' of jib in her. If we needed it for some reason we could put another 50' of boom in her. Also a 999 in the background that was assisting with the pile driving operation.

Second Photo is the other side of the derrick. Way in the background on land is Kiewit's Liebherr 1300 (was brand new when it arrived on the job late 2008) and a 888.

Third photo is our yard and the installation of our two docks as we get ready to erect new steel. I think we've got 8 cranes in this picture.

More information on the job can be found at www.hueypbridge.com

The two sets of webcams for this job are:
Superstructure Webcams
Approaches Webcams

If you page back through the webcam dates you can get some pretty decent shots of some of the other cranes we've got running around the site (both the approaches contract and the superstructure contract).

Attachments

• Access Pictures 058.jpg
    Access Pictures 058.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 602
  • DSCF0180.jpg
    DSCF0180.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 583
  • DSCF0757.jpg
    DSCF0757.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 615

shipman

Nice pics,thanks. Those are some big barges too. About how much do they draw? Do they tip much when lifting are are they so big that you don't have to worry about the slight increase in the lifting radius?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hi shipman, the times I've worked around a lifting barge, the spuds were only to anchor the barge, they play no part in stabilizing the barge. When you lift a load, the coming of the load on the line will make the barge list. So, you don't lift the load with the hoist, you boom up to lift the load to account for barge list. ;)

Tanstaafl

Whats the oldest rig there? Can you get pictures of the rigs up close?

Oldest rig on site is probably a 2900 Manitowoc that's parked on the west bank of the river (you can see it in one of the webcams). No idea how old it is, but it could probably use some TLC. She runs fine, but looks a little worse for wear.

Nice pics,thanks. Those are some big barges too. About how much do they draw? Do they tip much when lifting are are they so big that you don't have to worry about the slight increase in the lifting radius?

I think max draw on them is like 7' or so. Just about all of our barges are 35x195x12(?) or smaller. That derrick is actually mounted on 3 barges that can be seperated if need be.

You definitely get movement out of the barge when picking up loads. Have to do a lot of planning when making a major pick and working near capacity. You've got to also look at how the barge trim and heel when you swing the load as you'll probably move out into a 2 or 3 degree out of level chart for the crane.

I'll try and get some more pictures in the next week or so. We should be getting a 4600 ringer on site this weekend and I think we've added a 2250 as well. We also are going to start stick building the new trusses so we'll actually be making some major picks.