• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Brakes Locking Up--2003 Terex 860

DoubleNickel

Last Nov/Dec my rear Hydraulic brakes started locking up. I topped off the brake reservoir and the brakes were working fine. I didn't overfill it. Then it got real cold. Freezing cold. If I pushed down on the brake pedals, they would go down. By the third push the pedal would be right up on top. Brakes locked. Wait a few days, the pedal would go down again and lock up in the top position again. The brake pedal would not budge a pinch. I would leave it alone and in a few days, the same thing all over again. Left the machine on the job. Today (4-12) went back to the Backhoe. Same thing.

Could it be water in my brake lines? It is still freezing out. I will bleed the brakes when it warms up. Any ideas??

DoubleNickel

UPDATE: Fixed. I backed off on Pedal bolts 1/4" each and that has seemed to solve the problem. I think topping off the brake reservoir pushed the pedals up tight. Seems to work OK now. Knock on wood!! That was easy.