• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

brakes, and yes another 580b question...

northmanlogging

First off searching for anything related to a case on this site is a recipe for frustration...

Anyway, the brakes on my 580b work, they work really good as in just tap em and pick yer falsey's off the dash good, then they stay locked until you rock it back and forth a little bit, if your super gentle with em they almost work like real brakes but you can still feel them trying to lock up.

So my Question is, is this just an adjustment issue or do I need to do a full brake job.

The second is how are they adjusted and how big of a pain is the brakes to rebuild.

Any actual help is greatly apreciated

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yes, the brakes are due for an overhaul. Classic Case brake symptom. When they lock down and you have to reverse direction to make them release, it's time to go through the brakes. Hard to explain, until you dig into them and see for yourself, but this happens when the brakes are so worn that the balls reach the end of the ramps, causes them to lock until you reverse direction and pop them loose. It's been a long time since I've worked on these units, but I recall a replacement brake pack unit is available as opposed to purchasing the individual pieces. But look closely at the friction surface of the brake housing. If it's worn bad, you need to replace the housing.

Pain to rebuild? Well, it's not hard, but not easy at the same time. However, the nice thing about the Case design, at least you don't have to bust apart the rear axle like you do with other machines to work on the brakes. :drinkup