• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Brake fluid as an additive

Shimmy1

Question was posed in a thread earlier today, and now some discussion on the other forum.

Is it just me, am i missing something? It seems like the most ridiculous, totally irresponsible thing a guy could do to a hydraulic system. Add brake fluid to swell rubber to slow/stop leaks. Thoughts??

crane operator

My Rt crane has hydraulic brakes - Master cylinder upstairs, wheels down - so that fluid travels through the hyd. swivel.

Per manufacturer- DOT 5 only - and I always thought it was so that if it gets contamination in the swivel from cross bleeding- the dot 5 wouldn't damage the hyd. seals and system.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
It sounds like a stupid idea to me. Most hydraulic system seal components are not pure rubber anyway, and what's not urethane, nylon, teflon or some other thermoplastic, is NBR.

NBR seals are listed as "incompatible" with glycol-type brake fluid - so, in short, the brake fluid has the potential to damage them.

Even if the brake fluid does swell the NBR, the swelling also softens the NBR, so there goes its physical abilities which enable it to operate as a hydraulic seal.

And brake fluid soften and removes paint very rapidly, so any part of the hydraulic system that is painted will lose some of that paint, and the paint will end up in the hydraulic oil.

In short - No, a really bad idea to introduce a glycol brake fluid into a system that was never designed for it.

JD955SC

I have seen brake fluid added to a brake system that was supposed to be topped up by hydraulic fluid.

It really screwed it up. We ended up having to replace everything after the hoses started coming apart internally.

This idea of willfully contaminating a hydraulic system is stupid

Shimmy1

What thread?