• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bought the cheapest Lull 644-tt-34 Highlander 2 I've ever seen.

OL2STROKER

That an old Brockway Dump sitting next to the Telehandler? Your site is as bad as my own for Orphans!!
Sure is... check my youtube channel for more on that (Ol2Stroker there too). I rescued that from a local constructions companies yard. They hadn't used it in 12+ years and I bought it non running as is where is for $1600. After an afternoon swapping some stuck injectors I drove it out of their yard. Did a ton of work to it, it's road ready now. Rebuilt both rears, changed a spring hanger up front, all 10 wheels and tires, bunch of air system and electrical/lighting work. Cool truck, I need to swap in the 10 speed i have kicking around for it, this one pops out of 5th.

OL2STROKER

We ended up not using the factory cast iron exhaust elbow from manifold to muffler. Also luckily the guy I bought it from gave me the brand new muffler he had just bought for it (IT WAS $700!!!!!) so we fabbed up a new elbow out of some 2.5" stainless I had kicking around. Also of note, I changed the thermostat water outlet to one off my old 453t powered 78 F250 and like magic the factory upper radiator hose works.
20201023_212458.jpg
F*** yea boys she's a runner.
20201025_141047.jpg
20201025_160216.jpg
Other than the swap I had to replace one hydraulic hose for the fork rotation and hammer the pin back in that supports the main boom lifting assist cylinder. Then we welded that pin in place because it had already been booger welded once which f***ed up the threads. Really really happy with it. I cleaned all the factory gauges and dashboard and had to replace the oil pressure sender so now everything works except the hour meter. I'm thinking of ordering a new one to commemorate it's new heart.
20201025_162706.jpg

Here's a quick video of my buddy ripping it around the yard a bit. I will have this entire process in video on my channel pretty soon but it's going to be a bit of editing there's a ton of footage.
So far the only hickup is the trans leaks oil pretty good from the weephole at the bottom rear of the bellhousing after you shut the machine off? I'm guessing we knocked the spring out of the converter seal when putting it together. NBD Fix it in spring... any of yall ever seen that?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Should be a Power Shift system? If is most likely outer seals are done at converter and gonna have to pull it off the 53.. Will be very eerily similar to the transmissions in HUNDREDS of old machines. Rockford Clutch built most of them. You are most likely seeing converter drainback oil dribbling out.

Minnpar is your friend as to pieces.

https://www.minnpar.com/manuals.aspx

They handle a lot of Age Orphans.

OL2STROKER

Yea 3spd powershift, and that makes sense. If that's the seal I'm thinking of it wouldn't surprise me if we knocked the spring out of it going back in with the motor. It wanted to fight us for a bit and was kind of like feeling around in the dark without the front mounts in place to guide us. Thanks for that minnpar link i hadn't seen that place yet. I have most of the manuals for this machine, I found the service manual here but this came with a binder and had the operators manual and a factory parts manual since I got it from the original owners. Looks like a P22656 or in JLG land a 10722656.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Nice job. You made my day when I found this post and found out you were transplanting a 3-53 in it. Perfect size for that old timer. Built to work with a minimum of care, and designed to keep you awake at work all at the same time.

skyking1

No kidding. I was a deckhand on a little 8" dredge with a 8V92T, about 4' behind me. Earplugs plus earmuffs plus hearing damage.