• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bosch VE injection pump

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
What will cause a injection pump to have reduced fuel coming out towards the injector lines? It has a full line of fuel on like the filter side of the injection pump but on the other end like the injector side of the pump it’s barely squirting any fuel out. It’s a Bosch VE pump on a 4bt Cummins.

Tenwheeler

Check your supply pressure to the pump. Also check all electrical connections. I do not know your machine but extra wires on battery cables and all related grounds. They are known for low fuel supply pressure to over heat the injection pump, lack of circulation for cooling. That messes up the electronics in them.

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
To bench test the shutoff solenoid do you just put power to it & the stem suck in? Or is there a proper way to do it? As far as electrical wires & things, it’s a older machine. For the fuel system I think it just has a wire from the main disconnect switch to a toggle switch on the dash then onto the solenoid. As far as a fuel pump, to my knowledge it only has a lift pump on the side of the block. The machine really has no electrical system on it.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Check your voltage at solenoid and your manual shutoff lever on pump. You can pull the shutoff solenoid and pull plunger out and reinstall solenoid and then see what happens.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Coy has a good idea..P#5
IF U CAN check the fuel pressure coming out of the lift/supply pump going INTO the inj. pump.
SHOULD BE 3.5bar or 5psi in.. low fuel IN = low fuel OUT..
IF the pressure "in" is good & it still has low or no fuel out, u have an inj. pump problem.. {internal}

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
Ok pumpguy I’ll check that out. Thanks to you & the others for the help. Anymore ideas are greatly appreciated.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
That's about all I can think of..12v at the sol.. decent fuel pressure in & a strong battery to spin the motor.
Keep the lines loose at the injectors to watch to see the fuel squirting out of the lines & no air.. & tighten them up when that happens..
If its a Cummins engine.?? They're the only engine I've seen that LIKES to stick the injector OPEN & blow compression back thru the injectors.. I've seen THAT several times on engines that wouldn't start..

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
Someone once told me to bleed air at every connection. The 1 you have loose when it get fuel you move to the next connection continue on.

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
The fuel cutoff switch is working, I can get fuel to come out of the bolt that’s in between all the lines coming out of the pump. I ain’t sure what the bolt actually is but you can crack it loose & fuel will come out but just barely, barely squirts any on the lines towards the injectors. I’ve attached a pic of the pump & the bolt I’m talking about that’s in the middle of all the injector lines. 83AC4FEB-3FCE-4BAC-9776-2D8FCA32652C.jpeg

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
You loosen the lines at the injectors to purge the air, no reason to loosen at the pump as you will just drain the injector lines introducing more air..

Bad idea to start lossening random screws, bolts, plugs on the pump without knowing what they are, that plug in the pic accesses the pumping element.
yandet2.jpg
Did you measure voltage at the shut off solenoid as others said?? That wiring connection looks odd in the pic. I'd say the shut off solenoid is not opening fully, Or you have pump issues.

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
The injector lines was already drained cause the whole system has been took apart from 1 engine to another. I forgot to check the voltage on the wire. I just pulled the cutoff switch & put power to it & seemed to be working. As far as the connection it’s just a crimp on terminal with hoop that goes over the bolt & then tighten down. I’ll check voltage on the wire ASAP, I’ve gotta leave out tomorrow for dr appointments next week in Atlanta so it may be a week or so. I might be able to get someone to check for me just so I can relay the findings. As far as the bolt on the pump we didn’t take it out just cracked the threads on it. I’m not bad to fool with what I don’t know about.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Its good the sol. works.. but u have to find out if the machine is putting the correct voltage to it..
That "bolt" is a plug for the timing tool u use to time the pump to the engine.
U tighten the lines ON THE PUMP & it really doesn't matter about the lines at the injectors.. but u have to be able to see the "drips".. The fuel needs to be squirting out w/ no air.. then tighten the lines..
The more lines u have loose, the faster the air comes out..
The problem I'm seeing is>> you've spun this over enough for the air to be purged.. so that tells me u got a pump problem..??
So u took the fuel system off of 1 engine & put it on another?? {not a good idea}
Just because they "looked the same", there can be a gazillion things that can be different.
Did it run on the other engine.??
Did u time both engines??
Was the drive shaft on the pump keyed.??
Regardless of the timing, it still should pump fuel..
Did u DE-GREASE & TORQUE the nut on the drive shaft.??
IF the dr. shaft is not keyed, it could be spinning in the gear & not fully turning WITH the gear.??
Just a few things "it could be"..
OH & don't forget about the fuel going INTO the pump.. 5psi

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Good Lord..
.. & the plot thickens..
I see where ur goin FWF.. but if it was running on another engine{?} it should at least squirt fuel on this one..
regardless if its timed or not..
UNLESS, someone didn't degrease the shaft & gear & tighten the nut tight enough.!!! 125 FtLbs {the Cummins manual is wrong}
If it doesn't have a key, the gear could just spin on the shaft & not actually turn the pump..

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
Yes it was running on the other engine until the camshaft broke. The shaft on the pump is keyed with the gear. Both engines are the same cpl#

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Do you have sufficient ground to the engine block? Not the starter, the block. Do you have a chassis/ block ground? If not, what happens if you just make one with a jumper cable?
Good luck