• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Boom down Cavitation noise?!? Deere 160dlc

Falcon1115

Machine is a Deere 160dlc. When i go to boom down at any speed other than very slow. I get a quick grinding/cavitation noise from the boom cylinder circuit. Almost as of it cannot take or replenish the hydraulic oil fast enough when both boom cylinders are contracting under the weight of the boom. Pulled the right boom cylinder off being as it is a new to me machine with nearly 10000 hrs thinking there could be wear to the piston but everything looks ok. Is there a valve on the control valve that could not be opening/working fast enough for the escaping oil or something else I’m missing? Any help greatly appreciated!

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Serial number?

Did this just start happening? Any other operational issues (power, speed)? Did you make sure all the plumbing clamps and sheet metal are secure not causing the noise?

The boom down has two forms of anticavitation. A circuit relief valve with a built in anticavitation feature plus the Boom 1 spool (on the 4 spool side of the control valve) has a regenerative circuit built into it. Either one could be giving you issues.

Falcon1115

Serial number?

Did this just start happening? Any other operational issues (power, speed)? Did you make sure all the plumbing clamps and sheet metal are secure not causing the noise?

The boom down has two forms of anticavitation. A circuit relief valve with a built in anticavitation feature plus the Boom 1 spool (on the 4 spool side of the control valve) has a regenerative circuit built into it. Either one could be giving you issues.

serial number ff160dx050279

Machine is new to me. Auction item. No operational issues at all, only that noise when booming down fast enough. Everything is secure. Was thinking of switching the relief/anti cavitation valves for the boom with the ones from the arm circuit to see if the noise migrates to that circuit. They are the same part numbers. Just not sure yet if they are adjusted(if they can be) the same and would therefore be compatible.

Also how could i check the regeneration circuit in the spool?

Thanks so much for the help!!

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
serial number ff160dx050279

Machine is new to me. Auction item. No operational issues at all, only that noise when booming down fast enough. Everything is secure. Was thinking of switching the relief/anti cavitation valves for the boom with the ones from the arm circuit to see if the noise migrates to that circuit. They are the same part numbers. Just not sure yet if they are adjusted(if they can be) the same and would therefore be compatible.

Also how could i check the regeneration circuit in the spool?

Thanks so much for the help!!
Check on the monitor for trouble codes on the Dig Regenerative Solenoid Feed Back Current. If you find one post the code and someone can direct you where to look. Simon

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Was thinking of switching the relief/anti cavitation valves for the boom with the ones from the arm circuit to see if the noise migrates to that circuit. They are the same part numbers.

You could do that for a test. Keep in mind the part numbers may be the same, but the pressures are different.

Could you post a video of the noise?

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Check on the monitor for trouble codes on the Dig Regenerative Solenoid Feed Back Current. If you find one post the code and someone can direct you where to look. Simon
On a 200DLC The Plug in For The Dig Regenerative Solenoid is Y22. I dont know if it would be the same on a 160DLC. It is on the tank side of the machine next to the ( 4 In a Line Spools ). Maybe this will help.

Falcon1115

I have removed and checked the anti cavitation/pressure relief valve. Checked the service menu on the monitor. No codes. All appeared good. Now... I have a deere 330clc that i have about 500 hours on and just thought why dont i go check and see if it makes that same noise. Sure enough it does albeit not quite as pronounced. From in the cab in the 330clc you cannot hear it but outside near the boom cylinders you can put your hand on them and feel the vibration and hear the same noise. Im thinking i was just on a wild goose chase and all i was hearing was a new sound i was not used to? The noise in the 160dlc is much more pronounced and can be heard easily from the cab but that could be that the engine is much quieter than the 330clc so it made the whooshing/grinding noise of all that oil transferring itself through the valve on the downstroke all the more apparent. Before using these larger machines, i ran only mini excavators and a 10 ton and they only have single boom cylinders so there isnt the exchange of oil that you have on the larger machines. Maybe someone who has a Deere 160d could tell me if it’s normal?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Yes they all make some sort of "whooshing" sound when booming down rapidly. I hear it when I perform cycle time tests. That is a lot of oil being shoved through those hoses/steel tubes. That is why I asked for a video of it in my last post. To try and determine if it is normal or not. In my opinion, without hearing it, I think what you are experiencing is normal.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I have removed and checked the anti cavitation/pressure relief valve. Checked the service menu on the monitor. No codes. All appeared good. Now... I have a deere 330clc that i have about 500 hours on and just thought why dont i go check and see if it makes that same noise. Sure enough it does albeit not quite as pronounced. From in the cab in the 330clc you cannot hear it but outside near the boom cylinders you can put your hand on them and feel the vibration and hear the same noise. Im thinking i was just on a wild goose chase and all i was hearing was a new sound i was not used to? The noise in the 160dlc is much more pronounced and can be heard easily from the cab but that could be that the engine is much quieter than the 330clc so it made the whooshing/grinding noise of all that oil transferring itself through the valve on the downstroke all the more apparent. Before using these larger machines, i ran only mini excavators and a 10 ton and they only have single boom cylinders so there isnt the exchange of oil that you have on the larger machines. Maybe someone who has a Deere 160d could tell me if it’s normal?
Glad you figured it out. Simon