• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Boom banging when travelling

br2an

Hi Guys,

I have a 2001 JCB 214 series III that I recently bought. When I am travelling with it any bump in the road causes the boom to bang very loudly. What I can see is that when the machine starts to wobble front to back after hitting a bump the boom rocks forward off the transport lock and then slams back down on the lock. Horribly loud noise, I thought the arse was falling off of her the first time it happened.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks,

Brian

lantraxco

Before you shut it off, are you bumping the boom tight into the lock? Might help, might make it worse....

br2an

Before you shut it off, are you bumping the boom tight into the lock? Might help, might make it worse....

You mean force the boom down onto the lock? Thought of that but haven't tried it. I actually tried lifting the boom up tight off the lock as I was travelling but the cylinder leaks down and everything goes loose again.

Not You

On my case backhoe, you have to move the boom towards the back window and up off the boom lock periodically when you're going down the road or it will bounce up and down as well.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry

That was how I always did the JD backhoe we had at work. of course being only used inside the quarry did not need to travel more than a mile at anyone time. Some guys would just let it hammer away if they even bothered with the lock at all.

Deon

With my Deere 310D I don't lock it but just pull it almost to the full up position and let it bounce back and forth on the bumps. It acts like the ride control on the loaders of the newer backhoes and gives me a better ride.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Mine does the same thing. just give a quick pull on the boom lever to put some pressure on it. It'll stay put for a while.

br2an

It sounds like my problem is not unique. I will try the suggestions (pressure up - pressure down - no lock) and see what works best.

Thanks for all the replies,
Brian

sr-oz

Check that a rubber block is not missing on the boom that takes the movement out of it when in the lock position. Happened to my 580k it was unbearable till I found the cushion pad had worn out and just about fallen off. Got a new one happy days again.