• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

bomag shear shaft

crazycajun

i've got a bomag 66" padfoot. bought it used, it ran for an hour and quit moving. turns out it broke a plastic shear plate or shaft on the hydralic pump. had it fixed 3 times and only last 1 hour each time.. mechanics have given up.. any ideas?

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
The plastic shearing arrangement is there for a reason, to protect the machine. It really sounds like you have a collapsed bearing somewhere...bit hard to tell from here but have you had Bomag have a look at it.

crazycajun

the john deere dealer here is also a bomag dealer and they are clueless as to what is going on.. collapsed bearing would cause that?

surfer-joe

I agree with Squizzy, you got a more major problem either in the pump or valving. I guess it could be in the motor for the front drum, and maybe the vibrator drive side too.

Pull your hydraulic filters and cut them open to check for debris and excess metal. Get the dealer out to perform some presure tests. It may take just starting at the pump and going on down the line tearing things apart till you find the problem. Make sure the motor mounts are good and that the pump is lined up properly.

I never had any trouble with Bomags, they are one of the best vibratory compactors on the market in my experience. But, there's always one............. Good Luck!