• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

bobcat s650 speed

warbird

Yesterday i took the time and went to a Deere dealer, NH & kubota dealer, and a cat dealer. I only drove the Deere and cat machines comparable to the s650. In both cases I actually stopped and asked if the machines were in 2 speed. It was a major difference compared to our new s650! I can't believe how far off from spec the bobcat was.

i beleave the deer is 6.5mph and cat 7.7 mph. if a bobcat would run 7.1 it would be great [without 2 speed]

Last edited:

durallymax

Just checked 262D with GPS today, 7mph in low, 12mph in high.

Somebody on another forum was wanting his bobcat to go faster in low also, maybe it was you, it was someone scraping yards and said low was too slow but high would overheat it. I run high all the time as long as I dont need the rim pull, never gets warm. I wish Cat would make the two speed shift smoother on these. The 262C and 262C2 we had were just as bad, the B3's were really smooth and instant. Maybe they can reprogram it, haven't asked on this one.

warbird

its was'nt me all i do is feed cattle and push out lots hardly ever over half throttle until im empty, thats why i didnt want DPF and i owned bobcats all my life, [600 head yearlings year around and i dont own them lol] i hope i can get 7mph

Reedo

its was'nt me all i do is feed cattle and push out lots hardly ever over half throttle until im empty, thats why i didnt want DPF and i owned bobcats all my life, [600 head yearlings year around and i dont own them lol] i hope i can get 7mph
When our 650 was delivered we were instructed to try not to run anywhere except full throttle. They stated short periods at half throttle should be fine but try not to idle too often. We run a broom at half throttle on sidewalks for snow removal and they told us it's ok but try not to run it too long at low throttle.

warbird

one of these days someone will make a programmer for these skid steers and we wont have to worry about all this [if they dont already have it] like a pickup thats first thing i do put eli live on it and delete the extras lol and let it run

warbird

tires are new cdm123. dealer got it up to 6.6 and said it needs to be broke in and you realy have to work at it to get 6.6 thats with bucket, alot beter than it was

Reedo

Glad to hear it's better! What did they have to do? Do you notice significant power loss when you are driving and moving the arms or bucket? Ours is terrible and most of its use is with a broom so far. Have not even worked it yet!

warbird

realy dont know the salesmen said they redownloaded it something about it must not of took the first time [software].they said it will get better after its broke in. [11 hours on it] i dont think the salesman knowes lol. i dont notice no power loss but all i do is scoop feed, and drive pipe. my bucket will hold 1500# of feed and silage bales are 2200# ill start paying more attention

snocrete

Occupation
concrete, light excavating, snow & ice management
We leased a brand new fully loaded (2spd) S650 for winter this yr.
It had .5hrs on it when delivered. I checked it w/ gps & it was not going the listed speed it was suppose to in either gear. But after about 15 or so hrs it must have "broke in"....it nows goes as it should:beatsme

warbird

i did get use a gehl r220 yesterday with my gps lol and it will run 8mph

warbird

tired of changing fuel filters, cold sing flash and under 6mph so just ordered a 2016 cat 262d very expensive try out. lol a 2015 bobcat with 300 hours on it is hard to get your money back

Reedo

We now have a little over 100 hours on our cat 262d and have been very pleased. So far this winter we have had absolutely no issues with the cold as we did with our 2015 bobcat last winter. It was costly having to sell off a new machine with 75 hours but has been worth the savings in headaches so far.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but can’t seem to find any info I’m looking for anywhere. I bought a used 2013 S650 with 3800hrs on it, my question is concerning the 2 speed...in first gear the drivetrain/hydraulics sound as they should while running around, when I kick it in 2 speed I get a fair amount of hydraulic growl while turning either way but nothing going straight forwards/backwards. Is it fairly normal on these machines to hear some noise or should I be concerned?

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
Sorry to dig up an old thread but can’t seem to find any info I’m looking for anywhere. I bought a used 2013 S650 with 3800hrs on it, my question is concerning the 2 speed...in first gear the drivetrain/hydraulics sound as they should while running around, when I kick it in 2 speed I get a fair amount of hydraulic growl while turning either way but nothing going straight forwards/backwards. Is it fairly normal on these machines to hear some noise or should I be concerned?

I've got a '13 S650 too. I get something very similar. Only in high speed, most noticeable when turning a bit.
To me it sounds a bit more like chain noise/rattle than a hydraulic whine, but it's hard to tell.
Everything seems to function great despite the noise.
I figured it just normal at this point. Haven't had a chance to drive another to compare.

I've got a '13 S650 too. I get something very similar. Only in high speed, most noticeable when turning a bit.
To me it sounds a bit more like chain noise/rattle than a hydraulic whine, but it's hard to tell.
Everything seems to function great despite the noise.
I figured it just normal at this point. Haven't had a chance to drive another to compare.

Well good to hear someone with a similar machine has the same noise I guess. It’s a hard sound to try and pinpoint whether it’s a mechanical part or hyd noise. Just hoping it’s the nature of the beast. Runs pretty normal to me also

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
Well good to hear someone with a similar machine has the same noise I guess. It’s a hard sound to try and pinpoint whether it’s a mechanical part or hyd noise. Just hoping it’s the nature of the beast. Runs pretty normal to me also

I've only got 750 hrs on mine, so if you are at 3800 and it still works, it must just be the nature of this beast.

I've only got 750 hrs on mine, so if you are at 3800 and it still works, it must just be the nature of this beast.

The only thing I hadn’t tackled on this machine as far as servicing so far was at least checking the level of the oil in the chain case, mine was about 8L low and I filled it on as level of a surface as I could until it was just trickling out and went for a test run and noise is gone. Nice of the dealer I bought the machine off of to have a look at one of the easiest things to check when they told me it was going to be inspected heavily before I purchased it.