• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat s300 shuts down shortly after start.

lunky55

Newbie here. Know nothing about skid steers, but I'll learn.
I'm reviving an '05 Bobcat S300, Kubota 3300 engine, that's been sitting for several years. Got it started. After it blew a lot of crap out, runs ok. Shuts down after running about 15-20 seconds. It will start right back up. It does the identical thing each time I start it. Solenoid seems to be shutting off fuel.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
S300 Bobcat is a G series machine. On a G series, when you power it up, even before you start it, you should hear one long beep from the alarm. That's the main controller (computer) doing a system test and also lets you know the alarm is working. Once you start the engine and begin operation of the machine, if there's a fault with any electrical function of the machine that the main controller monitors then you'll hear three short beeps from the alarm. If you hear those three short beeps, don't do anything else and don't shut it down. Instead, right then, push and hold down the headlight button, this will bring up the code(s) that caused the alert. Once you shut it down the main controller wipes those codes on next start up. Are you hearing those three short beeps from the alarm?

lunky55

Thanks for your response.
I have a generator running for a battery charger, didn't notice any beeps,(hearing is not good on high pitched anyway). I'm in some woods. I'll try something different on battery and check the beeps.
Also, it has a broken right rear drive chain. Will I be able to take it slow and move it to my shop without damaging anything. It's not mine yet, I would need it off the guys property to work on it at my place.
I have a manual coming, which will help me. Thanks again, you've been very helpful.

lunky55

Long beep after engine started. 3 beeps after engine ran shortly. Then shut down. Codes were 16-01, 05-15, 12-22. I couldn't find 16-01, but I did the others. Don't know what they mean. I'm trying to find out.
Engine shuts down at 25 seconds each time it starts.
Thanks for your help.

Txhayseed

16-01 is for the air filter sensor on the back the air filter housing.. 05-15 is low charge pressure and that's probably what shutting you down. 12-22 is for the Aux hydraulic wiper switch.

lunky55

Thank you for the response. Where do you find the list of fault codes for this machine? The list I found didn't show 16-01, 05-15 was high hyd. charge pressure level of emergency shutdown, 12-22 is PWM controller front additional hydraulics at lower limit of range. Can you give me some ideas on what to do to correct these issues that you found.? Thank you.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
05-15 is hydraulic charge pressure in shut down, that's causing your shut down problem. First thing to check with low charge pressure alerts is the drive belt.

lunky55

I'll check the belt. Did you happen to see my question on moving the machine slowly with one rear drive chain missing. It's about 3/4 mile.
Thanks again for your help.
Very appreciated.

Txhayseed

16-01 could be a clogged air filter, bad sensor or bad wiring at the sensor or harness to controller.. Low charge pressure requires some trouble shooting... There are several posts on the forum that go into that topic in depth if you search it. 12-22 is probably the rocker/wiper switch depending on your terminology. Its probably getting worn and no longer giving the full range of signal throughout its sweep. Probably time to replace the handle.

lunky55

The drive belt is tight. I've tried to find posts on the charge pressure subject, not much luck. Looking for some more good suggestions.
Thanks

Txhayseed

Not a literal wiper like windshield wiper. Your
Aux hydraulic switch on your right handle. The one that that you rock left or right.. That particular switch is most often referred to as a wiper style switch since it has the same motion as an actual windshield wiper that you dont have

Txhayseed

If you dont have one i would suggest purchasing a service manual. Do you have a belt driven cooling fan or hydraulic cooling fan ? Test procedures will vary slightly depending on that piece of information

lunky55

Thanks for that explanation on the wiper.
Cooling fan is belt driven. I do have a service manual and parts manual, also an owners manual on order.
05-15 was due to several fittings that were loosened I was not aware of. Thankful for that.
I do have 15-02 and 16-07 now. I looked them up on the list I found, but not sure what they mean. If you could enlighten me on those, that would need great. Where do you look up fault codes, anyway?
I'm hopefully about ready to try the move to my place, about 3/4 mile, so I can work on it in my shop. Broken chain, a ton of cleaning up, pivot pins, etc., and tending to years of neglect. I'll certainly be having more questions, but I'm learning a lot.
I really appreciate your patience and knowledge.
Thank you