• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat S250 hydraulic leak

bunkydad

I was using my 2003 Bobcat S250 (3400 hrs) to plow this weekend and I noticed the arms stopped lifting. I backed up a little and noticed a small puddle of yellowish-hydraulic fluid on the ground from the center of the machine. I backed up some more and within seconds I saw, what I can only describe as, Bobcat vomit. I immediately shut off the machine and left it right in the driveway.

I never got a chance to look into it yet since I had to get the job done with my backhoe.

Any ideas what could cause such a massive discharge of fluid like that? I mean literally in a matter of less than 10 seconds, the ground under the machine was covered. The pictures were taken the following day.

I have to move it but I wasn't sure if there is something I need to do first. I'm open to any suggestions.

Thank you

IMG_20161218_091744850.jpgIMG_20161218_091749732.jpgIMG_20161218_091754272.jpgIMG_20161218_091759259.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Hate to laugh at someone's bad luck but "Bobcat vomit"!:D

Without being there to look at it from your description it sounds like a hose or line going to the lift side of the lift cylinders has failed.

First thing to do is top off the hydraulic oil before starting. Then if possible have someone else start it an leave all controls in neutral and look for any signs of leaking. If noting is leaking try to slowly travel machine with bucket/blade on ground while watching for any new oil leaking. If it seems to be okay, no bad noises or leaking carefully move to a place where you can work on it.

Then you can work controls at slow speed to see where the oil is leaking. WARNING DO NOT reach around a hose to see if you can feel the oil coming out. High pressure oil could get injected in to you hand and this can be fatal then someone else will be posting here and we will have to explain this all over again.

Just guessing from where that puddle is I'd be thinking it was one of the hoses on the left side that goes to either the lift cylinder or tilt cylinders on that side. Might not be too bad a job if it is. There are other hoses that are much worse, at least on the Bobcat we had at the quarry. Had to pull motor once to get at one! Replaced several that time to avoid ever doing that job a second time. And then I retired six months latter just to be sure!