• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat S250 Drive Noise

EZ-Man86

Hey guys, Was running my S250 a while ago and it started a "clacking" kinda sound whenever left stick was engaged..
Also noticeable power loss on that side.
Ideas on what to look at? I have the cab off right now doing a swap so anything else maintenance I should do while in there I am all ears.
Thanks a bunch
EZ

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I can hear it, too. It sounds expensive. Jack the left side off the ground and check for movement. You are allowed 1.5”. That will give you an idea of drive chain condition. Then, you can go from there. Let us know.

Broken axle hub, failed bearing, drive motor is toast,……. $$$$$$ oh’ boy.

EZ-Man86

Lol thanks for the non-Inflammatory prognostication.
I have all 4 wheels off and sitting on blocks.. Can not get much if any movement out of the hubs.. Will put a couple wheels back on and let you know what I get.
EZ

Coaldust

Occupation
The next easy check is to remove the left side drive motor case drain filter and see if the canister is full of junk.

Coaldust

Occupation
Roger that. Be prepared to make a mess. I’d have a new filter handy in case you wish to replace it.

Just remember some of those case drains, depending on model, returns directly to the reservoir. Which means before you remove it you should drain the reservoir or expect to have several gals of hydro filling your chassis.

-as for the clicking, most likely the chains, sprockets, and bearings. The power loss could be drive blew a seal.

EZ-Man86

So I have next to no play in the wheels.. Got my hydraulic oil drained and lines removed from my case drain filter.. Off to get some crows foot wrenches so I can get the filter out.
EZ

EZ-Man86

Well... Got my filter out... Full of silver shiny flakes and particulate... Assume its safe to surmise my drive motor is toast? Right hand filter is squeaky clean..
EZ

IceHole

From mammary, there's just 1 case filter, both drives hook into it.

Mine was clean with ~5000hrs on the machine.

EZ-Man86

So yeah i realized that both final drive motors drain to the one filter.. also the case drain from the aux at the bucket goes through an identical filter before then also coming to the one with both drains from the finals.

Wondering what else to see before pulling motors?
EZ

EZ-Man86

Is it strange that I don't have any debris in the case drain hose or fitting from my weak motor?
EZ

There is no brass in the drives so I would say your hydrostatic pumps are shot. They are piston pumps with brass slippers on the end of pistons. Engine must be removed to replace. Sadly with that much debris your gear pumps are probably shot too.

Coaldust

Occupation
Hopefully the case drain caught caught the major debtis before it had the chance to cycle through the pumps and the main filter on the return side, but yes. Go ahead and check it. You’ll be changing the hydraulic oil anyways, before this project is done.