• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

bobcat s220 running hot

Yellowdog

Anyone have issues with Bobcat's running hot especially s220's, s250's s300 highflow with AC?
I just had my machine serviced and had them check the radiator for clogs. Came back clean. I blow it out all the time and vacuum it regularly. Still, with my AC running, 98 degrees, and 6 hours into the job running only a low flow grapple, my machine's temp continued to climb. Never made it to "yellow" on the guage but none the less it seemed to run hot. The hydrualic oil temp didn't budge. Any thoughts? I have had issues before but it was usually alleviated by cleaning out the radiator. Everything looked clean but I can't figure why it was getting hot.. Didn't have a chance to test my 300 today but after 6 -7 hrs in this heat the 220 wasn't cooling the way it should.

Thanks,
Yellow Dog

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Not sure... Bobcat machines tend to run cooler than the pack, so I'm not too sure what's going on. Maybe someone here with more experience can give you a good response.

Yellowdog

I have had problems before but on the deutch engines (863 c and g series). I truly dislike Bobcat cooling system but other than that, they're great. Just wish I had some idea if other folks have problems when the heat and humidity are real high.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
How many hours on the machine? Could be an air bubble, or cavitation in the block, possibly a thermostat. We had this problem with our Cat 216 for about the first 3 months we had the machine. Took it to the dealer and that's what happened, had a small air bubble in the cooling system and caused the machine to overheat to the point where the audible signal in the cab came on. Our dealer mechanic said he hadn't seen that problem in a skid steer, pretty rare.

Yellowdog

Just hit 1000 hrs. Had it serviced at dealer and they said radiator was fine. Still getting warm, though. Dealer doesn't have an answer. My s300 on the same type of job, same temps outside, won't get as hot.. Could 6 hp make a difference on the engine?

bobcatuser

Occupation
Excavation Contractor
If you run high rpm for long periods of time the turbo charger and exhaust manifold will build up heat and raise the temperature in the engine compartment. My S185 revs at 2700 rpm full throttle, most of the time I will run it at 2300 rpm.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Tigerotor77W said:
Bobcat machines tend to run cooler than the pack,

Umm....unless your looking at a graduated and calibrated temperature gauge the mickey mouse gauges only give a rough indication and are notoriously unreliable. That said Bobcat has trouble keeping a Hi-Flow machine on the ground here in our summer...they generally vapourise..thats why they don't sell, and Mustang, Case and Toyota go like hotcakes.

thissideup

I have a 773 F-series Bobcat that is overheating with in 5 - 10 minutes of running (near idle, moving or not). I have replaced the thermostat and coolant with no change. There is NO coolant leaking and the air filters are near new, radiator is clean on the outside. The Boss system is indicating a EC problem and after turning the engine off you can hear a slight bubble sound. Not sure what to try next water pump or radiator or ??? Any suggestions on how to better determine what is wrong? If water pump, can this be easily replaced?

mrfixitpaul

Have you checked that the belt for the fan is staying tight. Sometimes the tensioner siezes and won't hold tension on the belt.

thissideup

773 overheating

Thanks for the reply. The tension on the belt is good and no noise or visible signs of slipping. I will measure the temperature on each side of the radiator but certainly by feel there was a big difference (before it got to hot) and I was not sure if that was just the delay in the thermostat. Approximately what temperature difference should be expected?

MECHTRONIK

first establish the temp the engine is reaching
second establish you are getting a temp drop across the radiator the amount doesn't matter so much as long as it isn't excessive or nonexistant.
Some checks you can make are thermostat opening temp - aim your temp gun at the top hose near the radiator on a cold engine-start up and when the thermostat opens the top inlet temp will increase to thermostat opening temp immediatly.
Check you have plenty of airflow through the radiator and the shroud is in place
To check the water pump is working you'll need to remove a cab heater hose and feed it into a bucket and run engine you'll soon see if you have flow

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
That seem to me to be the water pump, assuming that the new thermostat is working correctly. Cant imagine what else would cause it to get warm so fast whether it is moving or not.

heavylift

steam clean the radiator and a/c condensor... doesn't take much oil to clog the fins.. and oil cooler if it's all stacked back there..
lube guy left the 710 cap off once ... made an oily mess of the engine compartment
try running it without the a/c ,,, see if it runs cooler ... improper charged a/c will run hot... in the condensor

thissideup

Looks like it is the fan gear box. I checked the belt but never verified the fan was running (duh). Thanks again for the suggestions.