• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat manual xchange won't lock bucket in - new owner

bpp

I recently purchased a 2001 bobcat 334, which has the older non-hydraulic xchange. I know this system can be finicky.

I've never used one of these so I dont know how it's supposed to work, but I was able to insert the tool and retract the spring loaded pad that holds the bucket in place, but nothing seems to release it back to it's normal position. I got the bucket off and back on with the instructions on the machine, but the pad won't lower on to the bucket and is still in the position I originally put it in with the tool. This causes the bucket to fall off. I tried to pound the pad back down, but that didn't work either.

What is supposed to release it back? From the instructions, it sounded like fully retracting the bucket cylinder would cause it to reset. Is that it? Can someone describe the theory of operation for someone who has never seen a working one?

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
It's spring loaded, if you don't keep them lubed they give problems or if you get lots of dirt/rocks/gunk in ther it can jam....

bpp

Yeah, when does the spring release? Is it when the bucket cylinder is retracted?

It looked like it hadn't been greased. I found three greased fittings. I got one greased. The two that were for a rod that's pinned on one side wouldn't take any grease. I took the pin out and hammered the rod to one side two apply some to it directly and hammered it back in but no dice. I assume I can't take the rod out completely when the system is cocked back and under tension.

seville009

Maybe soak it in penetrating oil overnight and then give it some sharp whacks with the hammer

my skidsteer bucket attachment won’t move to the lock position if I don’t keep it lubed. Didn’t even know it had to be lubed until I had it for maybe five years and saw that it wasn’t working.

Tags

Like was stated above, rocks and dirt can get in there and old grease will get gritty an stiff, the best thing you could probably do is take the bucket off and pressure wash the coupler or clean it real good with a degreaser and a hose usiing a small stiff bristle brush or a small wire brush. Just be sure that the unit is in the locked back position so if the springs do free up it doesn't catch your hand in there…

Canadian_digger

Did you retract the bucket cylinder all the way back. That’s how it is released. If you are to gentle it may not release. So curl it back with a bit of speed. You should hear it click.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Yes, but you have to put the tool in and then bucket-back to actuate the tool... right... or am I remembering it wrong???

bpp

Thanks for the tips guys! I soaked it in penetrating oil and let it sit. I rocked the bucket back and forth a few times. It seems from staring at it that the bucket cylinder needs to be retracted, it looks like that increases pressure on the "return" spring and also moves a cam out of the way from holding it open.

With it partially retracted I had enough room to pound it and it popped back into the position I need to lock a bucket. After that, the grease flowed through the fittings properly.

looks like I will need to keep it moving to loosen it up. Once I have a way to pressure wash it I'll do that too. Thanks!