• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat E85s

ohioduramax

Hey guys how are the newer E85’s? Any problems? I’m looking at 2016 and newer ones. Don’t know if I want to spend over $100k on a new R series yet. Figured I could save $20k and get something a couple years old with a few hundred hours on it. I’m running a 2007 Kubota KX080-3 now and it’s been great, just looking for something newer, faster, hydraulic pin grabber, and a few other small things. I have 3 other Bobcat machines and my dealer has been good to me. I liked the E85s when I checked them out at con expo 2 years ago but really haven’t run them. I do a little bit of everything work wise, utilities, footers, demo, etc.

rondig

Occupation
excavation
Your kx 080 will have faster cycle times.i own a kx 080 and when we are swamped we rent a e85. Both machines run side by side. The kubota is WAY cheaper on fuel. The bobcat cab on r series is nicer...but non r is about the same...pin grabber on bobcat is nice....but it also does not allow you to use your thump with twist bucket. Kubota can use any kubota bucket including twist with thumb.

ohioduramax

Is your 80 a -3 or -4? I’d imagine the 4s would be a little faster. I don’t plan on getting a twist bucket but you never know. A pin grabber is a must. I haven’t ruled out another kubota but it sure would be nice to be dealing with one dealership til I get some bigger iron.

ohioduramax

A couple other things I’m looking for in a upgrade are the higher lift capacity that the E85s and 308s are rated at and the shorter blade height, it’s hard to see over the one on my 80 when you start getting deeper. I’ve noticed the blades on the E85s and 308s are probably about 5” shorter, that would make a big difference I think.

rondig

Occupation
excavation
Nope mine is a -3. Dealer is after me to trade to a new one...brought me a -4 for demo....-4 is nice because it has auto speed and variable aux hydraulics on both circuits....but other than that they have same pumps and everything else...so same speed...but the emission engine is reason i wont trade till mine is wore right out

rondig

Occupation
excavation
308 cat....did not enjoy using that one at all....it is way slow....plus doesnt run aux mower very well...e85 is a nice unit...that is why we rent it....kubota does not rent the bigger ones around here...not to sure about higher weights on e85 vs 080...we never really max out either

ohioduramax

Yea I’ve kind of ruled out the 308 now. I plan on running a mower also. I don’t have to replace my 80 but I’ve got someone that wants to buy it off me so I figured it wouldn’t hurt to upgrade. I’ll have to demo a E85 soon and see what I think. My 80 is the oldest machine I own and it’s been the most trouble free so far compared to my bobcats. I’d hate to downgrade haha

rondig

Occupation
excavation
The newer you get the more troubles u have....and the less you can fix them yourself....that is why i am holding off till it is dead...my old kx080 have over 5000 hrs trouble free.. my newer one has over 1800 trouble free

rondig

Occupation
excavation
Well if you are mowing your old 080 is gonna he hard to beat....the aux flow is really good. . .e85 runs our mower but the hydra temps get in yellow all the time....and doesnt seem to mow as well....didnt do rotor rpm check...but feels like it turns slower...my neighbors old tak seems to run it as well as my 080. Might want to check aux flow and pressure on both machine specs.

ohioduramax

Yeah I know the new stuff can be a pain. I’m at a little under 3500 hours on mine, I’ve seen them on machinery trader with 10k. I know the E85s are a few gpm lower on the auxiliary circuit and 11hp lower, the R series bumped up the hp by 7 I believe. So it’s equal to the -4 kubota but still a few gpm lower. I had my circuits tested last year when I got a hoe pac setup on it and they are right where they are supposed to be. I wonder if the R series E85s would mow better than the previous generation. Sounds like the machine I have is one of the ones to have haha.

rondig

Occupation
excavation
It was the r we rented last few times...little better that older one...but still not great....i have owned my hoes....a kx080 is very hard to beat....that is why you have a buyer for yours

ohioduramax

Thanks for the info today rondig. I’m still going to check out a E85 possibly this week but it sounds like I should keep running mine. I’d just need to get new roadliner pads and possibly sprockets. For being 12 years old the pads don’t look too bad but they definitely need replaced. What tracks do you have on yours rondig?

rondig

Occupation
excavation
Dont get me wrong e85 is very nice....and the smell of a new machine is addictive...lol.....and running them side by side is very close....till you use a hydraulic driven implement.

rondig

Occupation
excavation
I have a 48" flail mower...woods brand...and a 72" rotary "bush hog" rough cutter...erskine brand...that i also use on my ctl. The rough cutter will flip me at full reach above the tracks...half way no problem...flail i can reach all way.