• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat E50

Tundra4x4

Hi TomG, I'm still waiting for my build date on the E50 (12/20/10), but I selected the long arm option. What are your thoughts on the long arm vs. the standard arm. I did an extensive internet search and found no pointers. The two major disadvantages I can think of are reduced hoisting ability with the bucket close to the machine, and reduced crowd force/arm force by about 20%, and also the extra size of the counterweight. Honestly, I'm thinking about taking this option off but wanted your input first, or anyone with experience using long arm vs. standard arm on any mini excavator. Thanks for your input.

TomG

Hi TomG, I'm still waiting for my build date on the E50 (12/20/10), but I selected the long arm option. What are your thoughts on the long arm vs. the standard arm. I did an extensive internet search and found no pointers. The two major disadvantages I can think of are reduced hoisting ability with the bucket close to the machine, and reduced crowd force/arm force by about 20%, and also the extra size of the counterweight. Honestly, I'm thinking about taking this option off but wanted your input first, or anyone with experience using long arm vs. standard arm on any mini excavator. Thanks for your input.

We also thought about the long arm option but decided against it because we really needed as much lifting capacity as possible because of all the granite we do. Also the ground is generally very hard here so we wanted the max breakout force. You just need to look at what you want to do with the machine and decide if the extra 16" of reach and digging depth is worth loosing digging power and lifting capacity. The machine already digs to 11.5' so if your doing excavations deeper than that then yea definitely get the long arm but if your not... my opinion is go with the standard arm. Also remember that when you add the counterweight the machine doesn't remain a zero tail swing machine and it also adds 500lbs to the machine, so depending on how your planning on hauling the machine that might come in to play. But if you get the long arm DEFINITELY get the counterweight you will need it for stability.

Tundra4x4

Thanks for the input on the arm length TomG. I called and changed the E50 build to standard arm. I skipped the angle blade too since I didn't see myself doing enough trenching to justify the angle blade option. I added the PowerTilt (+/- 89 degrees of tilt) with the 52" grading bucket. Initially I was looking at the HydraTilt, but it only gave +/- 30 degrees of tilt which seems handicapped in comparison. The PowerTilt is a bit expensive (~$5200 as I remember), but you make it look like an exceptionally useful attachment in your YouTube videos. By the way, you ought to get paid by Bobcat for promoting the E50 so nicely. No one else online has videos of the E50 as far as I can determine.

manac

Occupation
developer
I am looking for a powertilt also for a 442 I have called 3 dealers in western Canada not one response of any kind , they all have to much money I guess . So what is a good after market manufacture or a good dealer .I have to ship regardless so I dont really care where it comes from.

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Are you looking for a tilt that's independent of the bucket or one that is already built into the bucket? Because these guys make just the tilt mechanism's themselves.

http://www.helac.com/

TomG

Last job of the year. The ground is frozen. Digging a 10' hole for a 36" sonotube for a pole that will support a solar panels

106.jpg105.jpg104.jpg108.jpg107.jpg.

TomG

More from the same job.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,884
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,891
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,938
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,904

JoelDirt

Occupation
Council worker
Your E50 looks awesome, looks like a very powerful machine too and your signage looks great. Well done =)
Joel.

CBS

Occupation
management
yes very nice machine i wasnt particular to bobcat mini excavators but now with the e50 they are comparible to the cats the old series i found are under powered and also tend to roll ahead under extreme conditions the soil we have here is a very hard clay and is extremly difficult to excavate also loves to plug the bucket up bad if wet

ACCInc

Occupation
Concrete,Site work contractor. Certified Weldor
Great looking machine. The Logo "Interstate" almost looks Photo shopped on in some of the pics. I have never seen so many mini's with enclosed cabs. I really like the enclosed cabs. When I bought mine they were close to double the price with an enclosed cab. Good luck with the E50. It is a great looking machine with from the pics TONS of Power.

TomG

Great looking machine. The Logo "Interstate" almost looks Photo shopped on in some of the pics. I have never seen so many mini's with enclosed cabs. I really like the enclosed cabs. When I bought mine they were close to double the price with an enclosed cab. Good luck with the E50. It is a great looking machine with from the pics TONS of Power.

Thanks! I can assure you it is not photo shopped. haha, just check out my videos. Yea the new modern enclosed cabs are great! We will probably never buy another machine with out one.

TomG

Well I haven't updated this thread in a while. So here we go... I have a lot of pictures, and videos, I'll upload them all over the next few days. I have 450hrs on the machine currently and I have had no problems. Wes still love the machine!

Ripping up a asphalt driveway and replacing with brick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr-uhv7cBrc

2.JPG4.JPG3.JPG1.JPG

Last edited: