• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat/Cat comparison

janderson3949

First time posting here. I've been around this forum for awhile reading posts and replies and thought i could share a recent experience with two of the top name CTL's. Let me say I am a Cat fan first and foremost. Iv'e ran a lot of different equipment over the years and prefer a CAT. That by far does not mean it is the best, but what i prefer. So onto the comparison.

We have rented various CTL's over the years to do our fine grade work and have settled into CAT's 279 or 289, which, i prefer the 279(another story). We mainly use them for our light medium to fine grade work around residential and commercial construction, Topsoil placement, driveway/sidewalk work, etc. With information and opinions gathered from various sources, including this site, I chose to make a call to the local bobcat dealer and check out one of their CTL's. Having never ran a bobcat CTL, I spent some time talking with the rental rep getting some information. He then transferred me over to sales, and that rep set up a demo for a T650. I was skeptical, having run Cats so long, but the rep assured me the machine was up to the task and two days later it was on the job.

First impressions of the machine were positive. It looked smaller than the 279/289 we normally use but the specs were relatively close. The rep went over the machine and pointed out the highlights and features and left me to operate.

-One of the first things i noticed and huge benefit IMO is the cab door. The way the door opens without the bucket being in the way and the latch mechanism for the door is a much better design. The design of the Cats door relies heavily on the bucket and arms being in the down position. A slight bit up and the door does not open or the door hits and/or binds. The bobcat has much more room in that area to open the door and climb in and out and the bucket does not interfere. Impressed.

-After climbing in and sitting down, another big difference i noticed was visibility. I was able to turn my head and see out of the machine behind me. Visibility out of the side was a little better, but not huge. The Cat has very little visibility out of the rear and relies on a mirror or the backup camera. Not a huge deal but definitely noticeable.

-The seat in the bobcat, while not bad, is not as good as the Cat. I'm a bigger guy at 6 foot 220 with broad shoulders and the seat in the Cat has a higher back which feels a little more comfortable. The bobcat's seat isn't uncomfortable, just lacks height. The seating position and leg room seem comparable between both machines. Let's be serious here, any extended amount of time operating any CTL will get the knees asking for a stretch. The control levers length adjustment seem to go out a tad further in the Cat. I noticed it as i have long arms, but not where it was uncomfortable or awkward to operate.

-The screens and startup on both machines were very nice and easy to use. The Cat may have a touch more adjustment with the bar graphs controlling speed but nothing the average user will notice or use that often. The bobcats was just fine in that department. Upon starting the engine, i noticed a huge difference in NVH. The cat at idle/operating RPM is much smoother and quieter in the cab. The company owner hopped in and that was one of the things he noticed right off the bat as well. Once the revs come up you feel less vibration and noise in the cab but the Cat is still a touch more quiet in that department. The HVAC vent placement seem to be a touch better in the bobcat. I'm a premadonna and want my heat and air. The Cat had a radio and the bobcat didn't. I love the bluetooth and mic function where i can take a call and still operate. Yes, you can get a radio in the bobcat, but this one didn't have one.

-The operation of the bobcat was almost flawless. The controls were precise and the machine did everything as controlled and stopped moving forward when you let off. Something the Cat doesn't do well. It seems to take a tick to stop/drift ever so small once the control lever is in the center/ not moving forward. The machine sits lower than the Cat and felt a touch more balanced. It didn't seem like it wanted to squat then go like the Cat. It felt a slight bit smoother in operation and not jerky like the Cat. I have noticed a difference from machine to machine with the Cats and some do it more than others. Rentals are rarely taken care of well and the last one may have been abused as it had almost 1k hours on it.

- Power really seemed close between the two machines. Iv'e seen/heard my machine out pushes this or that. Well, this particular side by side comparison wasn't like that. The machines seemed to have equal push power, track power, etc. They both will do what is in a realm of expectation for a machine of their size. They both felt strong and capable. I loaded a small single axle with some topsoil and the lift was good. I'm not sure if there is a setting for the bucket control to keep level as you raise, but the Cat does it and the bobcat didn't. Got a small amount of dirt showered. I chalk that up to me not being familiar with the machine and sure that can be fixed.

-The tracks on the bobcat as explained to me by the sales rep seem to be of better construction. I didn't cut it apart to verify but i'm sure if one were to research, one could find out how much better they are or not. The undercarriage seemed stout, but so did the Cats. Noting really noticeable there.

-Engine layout seemed more compact in the bobcat. Cat's design was more open and accessible. The rep explained that most items that go out are right there when you open the door and easy access to repair. Meh. Both ways are good.

My apologies for being long winded but this is an extremely brief summary and highlight of what i experienced with both machines and though it may be helpful to others. I have much more information but it's late and i don't want to bore people. I walked away impressed with the bobcat. It was not what i had expected. That's saying a lot coming from this Cat guy. Was i impressed enough to switch and buy a bobcat vs a Cat? Maybe. As i have read elsewhere from what others said, it comes down to price, availability, service and Customer service. The Cat dealer here is pretty good. However, so it the bobcat dealer. Maybe brand loyalty comes into play like ford vs chevy. You can't go wrong with either machine. Do what i did and set up a demo to see for yourself. You may be surprised.

John