• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 883 with Duetz Diesal

dist3

Can anyone pass on information on reliability of Bobcat 883 with Duetz engine. Not familiar with this setup. Mid 90 's machine with 78 hp

KSSS

Can anyone pass on information on reliability of Bobcat 883 with Duetz engine. Not familiar with this setup. Mid 90 's machine with 78 hp

This machine was basically an 873 with more weight added to it and larger tire option. It was a quick response to the new at the time XT series of CASE skid steers. I would watch for cracking or rewelds on the loader arms, the machine had more weight to it but little in the way of increased power so they are more doggy than an 873. They had a short run. It was an effort to offer something in the higher ROC class. Replaced ultimately with the S300

Yellowdog

I think it was only 73.5 hp, same as the 863/873. good machines but prone to 0 ring leaks and some head gasket problems.

BAREIN

I had A 873, I liked it for it's time, They are prone to head gasket problems, which if your a mechanical person you can replace it yourself, mine went out at 900 hrs. In typical BC fashion one of the drive motors went bad at 800 hrs. Some of the fuel rails they used were junk, mine was not worked to hard and towards the end I started seeing a few hairline cracks in the booms. hydraulic lines blew a lot and some were a pain in the ass to replace, If it has the upgraded gauges they are junk. On the brighter side they have OK power, pretty good lift for there time ( Iam sure the 883 lifts more) and they are very fuel efficent, I also got great money for it when I sold it. Like I said I liked the performance but the breakdowns and BC company made me never want to own another.

dist3

Thanks everybody for the replys! Co worker asked about the machine and my experience has been with Kubota powered machines.

jimsbcs

I had a 863 with the oil cooled Duetz engine in it, and it was a good machine in the summer, but when winter came and I started snow removal services and the temps dropped to -20 deg F that's when the problems began. the oil would get so cold in the cooler (radiator) that it would not circulate causing the engine to get very hot and shut down. I tried straight sync. oil, changed out the thermostat per dealers recommendation. ended up cutting a peice of rubber intertube and sliding it over the cooler to restrict the air flow.
the following year I got rid of it and bought a new S220. got good money for it too, had maybe 400 hrs on it.
It was kind of funny when I first told my dealer about it they said they never heard of that one before, then a few months later when Fargo, ND got some real cold temps and all the sudden lot's of people were complaining about the same problem. Found that out from the Bobcat mechanic later that spring.
If you live in a warmer climate it's a great engine. Jim