• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 863 stumbled then stalled and wont start now

wjaynes

Occupation
factory rat
I had a copper seal on an injector leaking so I took it off cleaned it and replaced it. got in machine and fired it up. a couple minutes later it started loosing power and black smoke came from exhaust and it stalled. now it wont start.
I have power to each fuse, and power to fuel pump, also when I turn on key I hear fuel cutoff solenoid click on. any ideas?

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
The fuel solenoid is clicking... but is it holding? there are two coils in the cutoff that energize with keyon but only one stays on after initial contact. Also the seals around the nozzles are designed as a one time use part.

wjaynes

Occupation
factory rat
I only replaced the one line seal that was leaking. It sure seems like the fuel cutoff went bad. ill order one and replace it. I had a similar issue years ago and for get if it was the solenoid. Thanks for your help

crewchief888

I had a copper seal on an injector leaking so I took it off cleaned it and replaced it. got in machine and fired it up. a couple minutes later it started loosing power and black smoke came from exhaust and it stalled. now it wont start.
I have power to each fuse, and power to fuel pump, also when I turn on key I hear fuel cutoff solenoid click on. any ideas?

power to the fuel pump? :confused:

when you prime the fuel system with the primer bulb, are you getting fuel to the filter?

:drinkup

wjaynes

Occupation
factory rat
What do you mean not on a deutz? I just noticed there is a fuel pump when I ordered the solenoid. where is the fuel pump located? and I tried to squeeze the primer bulb but it is hard as a rock.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
What do you mean not on a deutz?

He means the shutoff solenoid on the Deutz engine doesn't have two internal coils like on the Kubota Bobcat engines, only has two wires going to it, switch wire (+) and a ground wire.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Fuel lift pump - red arrow.

Fuel shutoff solenoid - yellow arrow.

I think that fuel lift pump has a strainer screen in it.

Bobcat Deutz engine edited.jpg

wjaynes

Occupation
factory rat
yeah mine has two wires going to it but originally I think it had 3 when I replaced it 10 years ago. Ill check out the fuel pump tomorrow before I go and buy one. thanks Guys.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
If I recall correctly on that engine, if you remove the shutoff solenoid from the engine that puts the fuel rack in "run" position and the engine will start. Although, it will leak a little oil out of the hole and you have to manually shut it down, but it would confirm engine will run.

crewchief888

If I recall correctly on that engine, if you remove the shutoff solenoid from the engine that puts the fuel rack in "run" position and the engine will start. Although, it will leak a little oil out of the hole and you have to manually shut it down, but it would confirm engine will run.

^^^ this

wjaynes

Occupation
factory rat
ordered fuel cut off solenoid and a fuel pump. I checked it out and the fuel pump was empty so ill blow out fuel lines and make sure there not plugged, I also bought a timming belt but wont do it until I get it started and back in the garage.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
ill blow out fuel lines and make sure there not plugged

Best not blow compressed air back through that line in the fuel tank. It has a stainer screen with a check ball on the end of the pick up tube inside the tank, you'll blow that pick up tube off.

crewchief888

Best not blow compressed air back through that line in the fuel tank. It has a stainer screen with a check ball on the end of the pick up tube inside the tank, you'll blow that pick up tube off.

Wille's da man :notworthy

:D

Bubba

Occupation
Locomotive Engineer, Property Management, Clearing
Check the Connection that goes to the fuel Shutoff Solenoid . It a wiring block with a little screw that hold it together. You can wiggle the wires to that block and it may work. That solenoid cost about $383 and may just be that connection.

wjaynes

Occupation
factory rat
I disconnected the fuel primer bulb to blow out fuel line to tank just in case it was frozen. It blows thru but when I try to pump fuel back out it won't come out, I know there is 10 gallons of fuel in tank. Is there a one way valve ate tank or maybe a filter? I can't seem to get to it as the tank sits below the engine

Delmer

See post #16 above and search the other threads about how to replace the pickup tube.

Assuming air will come out of the line and no fuel.