• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

bobcat 863 blowing seals in carrier

foolish

still working on my 863. the hydrostatic motor carrier blows out the seals twice within minutes of moving it. took to dealer and it happened to them twice also. last time up on blocks it ran ok for 15min. , then when on ground blew out within 5 min.
brought it home. took hydrostatic motor apart. looked fine except for 2 of the pistons stuck some from coming out. there was scratches on top and bottom of pistons from rubbing on something?
dealer had checked the hydraulic pressure and it was good.
is hydrostatic motor bad? anything else that would blow out the seals in carrier?
thank you

heymccall

Aint that machine equipped with case drain screens on the drive motors? Pretty sure that my 863G machines were.

Shaft seal blowout is always from excess case drain pressure, either from a line restriction or excess internal motor leakage (internal wear).

foolish

i did put a new drain filter in when overhauling this machine. it doesn't even have a hr of time on it, but i will reck it. my hydrostatic motor and carrier is very different from final drive in video. the fluid from hydrostatic motor flow blows the seals in carrier , then into chain case and bubbles out the top of chain case covers.

heymccall

It's still a piston motor, and, as stated clearly above, it will push oil past the shaft seal if either the drain hose path is restricted or the internal leakage in the motor has a greater volume that the drain hose circuit can handle.

foolish

i think i screwed up royally. i had to disconnect all the hoses and tubes when i replaced axle bearings and races. i did not mark all the hoses. i took lots of pics but not enough. does anyone have a diagram of which hoses go to which end of drain filter?

Attachments

• 0813221049.jpg
    0813221049.jpg
    1,002.9 KB · Views: 8

frg

i think i screwed up royally. i had to disconnect all the hoses and tubes when i replaced axle bearings and races. i did not mark all the hoses. i took lots of pics but not enough. does anyone have a diagram of which hoses go to which end of drain filter?
1 drain line, for each motor, to the input of case drain filter.(the output is marked) the output of filter goes to tank or HYD pump body.

foolish

thank you, i'll try and put it together this weekend.
looks like i have 1 to go to tank drain and 1 to go to hyd pump.