• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 773 ECU programing ?

jmh2010

We have a 773 Bobcat which was giving us all kinds of codes and faults that we have short to ground problems. Things started out with one solenoid then an other and so on till we changed ECU. Put in new ECU get code 33-23 which means it needs programming . We toke it to dealer and he could not connect to ECU . Brought it back to shop checked all the wires and found a pin was pushed back on a plug that goes to ECU. Everything works great with new ECU now except code 33-23. Need to use machine and nearest dealer is 2 hours away and tells us if we put on more than 1 hour ECU will lock up and their is no way to fix that . He says he will not be able to programm it after that happens. Is that true?

Txhayseed

Are we talking engine ecm or are you referring to the aux and or gateway controller ? Either way a bobcat dealership should be able to replace/update software with latest revision. Your dealer should have been able to tell you the issue by doing some simple checks right there not just that he can't connect and then asked if you would like them to perform the needed repairs to allow them to proceed or not. So once we figure out what controller you replaced where did you get it ?
I have yet to install any engine ecm that needed programming and have the machine run period. Gateway way or aux controller is a different story. You can run different recession but get error codes and systems may not operate. I have never seen a Kubota/doosan ecm that was vin/serial number locked yet or would or had the software capability to lock you out. If we are in fact talking engine ecms. Kubota or whoever provides the engine operating system bobcat makes their side of things jive to that. I have never heard of or yet see a module or ecm lock up and lock out. Not on anything other than a vin protected vehicle ecm anyway. Your bobcat dealer might be like mine good for nothing worthless lazy blow hards that only know what that almighty computer in front of them tells them.

jmh2010

Are we talking engine ecm or are you referring to the aux and or gateway controller ? Either way a bobcat dealership should be able to replace/update software with latest revision. Your dealer should have been able to tell you the issue by doing some simple checks right there not just that he can't connect and then asked if you would like them to perform the needed repairs to allow them to proceed or not. So once we figure out what controller you replaced where did you get it ?
I have yet to install any engine ecm that needed programming and have the machine run period. Gateway way or aux controller is a different story. You can run different recession but get error codes and systems may not operate. I have never seen a Kubota/doosan ecm that was vin/serial number locked yet or would or had the software capability to lock you out. If we are in fact talking engine ecms. Kubota or whoever provides the engine operating system bobcat makes their side of things jive to that. I have never heard of or yet see a module or ecm lock up and lock out. Not on anything other than a vin protected vehicle ecm anyway. Your bobcat dealer might be like mine good for nothing worthless lazy blow hards that only know what that almighty computer in front of them tells them.
It is not engine that I am talking about. I thought it was called ECU when ordering but maybe it is a gateway controller. Its function is for hydraulic solenoids and safety feautures . The machine operates 100 percent it just tell gives me code 33-23 which is ECU needs programming . Before I replaced it the dealer said new one might need programing but he has seen where they do not. He stated he would only put original hours on the reprograming part of it as that is all he can do as this is a old machine. Right now hours are showing 0 were the machine had 5000 hrs already. Thanks for your help.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Never heard or experienced a gateway controller locking out like you described. I think the dealer is pulling your leg. But, I highly recommend getting it programmed with the updates.

jmh2010

Never heard or experienced a gateway controller locking out like you described. I think the dealer is pulling your leg. But, I highly recommend getting it programmed with the updates.
Thanks for the info. I find it hard to believe as well . I am thinking Bobcat would have put a warning beside this code that controller will lock out after so many hours of not fixing it but then again I sure do not want to but another one .