• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 753 Traction lock problem

wayne186

Hi all, this looks like a great forum and I look forward to many happy years here :)

I have a problem that I hope somebody can help me with, I have a Bobcat Advantage series 753 and it refuses to move. Engine starts fine but if I try to move it forward or backwards it will only go an inch or so and locks. I went into the computer for Active warnings and it says the following:

Traction Lock hold open circuit. After going into the more information section it says this:

Traction lock hold signal wire #4100 is not present

Possible causes may include in this order:

Defective solenoid
Damaged mainframe harness
Faulty controller

I use my bobcat for odd jobs around the property and right now it is stuck on my barn floor and I need to move it as it is blocking my exit. I used it two days ago, parked up and no problems but now it is being a stubborn mule :)

Since I have no service manual I have not got a clue for the first place to look for the problem (to the point that I do not even know where the 'solenoid' is). I am ordering a service manual but in the interim can anybody please help me out as to where I would start? Also - do you have any idea how much a field visit would typically cost from a bobcat dealer? This may be my quickest option but I would rather fix it myself.

thanks

Wayne

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
5 bucks says it's the solenoid, I had that problem twice on my 753, usually from heat from the alternator pumping out a little too much power or heat from the hydraulics.

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
Not sure about a 753, but on my S250 there is a fuse and relay box that is inside the cab just below and in front of the seat. It contains a 30 amp fuse and a relay for the traction lock. If you can find a similar box on yours, I would start there. If fuse and relay are good, I would trace wires from there. Make sure wires going to the seat bar are OK and that it is functioning properly.
Good luck.

wayne186

Hey guys thanks for your info

Bobcat ron since I do not have a service manual at the moment - can you tell me where I might find the solenoid in question?

Bob Horrell - I checked the fuse box below the seat and the fuse is ok, I'll be going for the 5 bucks with bobcat ron first :) then I guess it is off to the wiring harness :-(

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
Follow the wiring from the traction lock relay in the fuse box. It should lead you to the solenoid. Power should go through the fuse to the relay to the solenoid.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums wayne186! :drinkup

wayne186

Bobcat Ron - you owe me 5 bucks or 2 tubes of grease :) Well after I tilted the cab up and found the pesky solenoid I had a good sniff around inside and noticed that several wires coming off the main loom had been gnawed through.. it certainly was not due to wear and tear or rubbing on anything as these were bite marks in the wires. Whatr the hell possesses a bloody rodent to chew a wire is beyond me - but hey ho.. the warning from the computer said 'No signal from wire number 4200' so looking by the solenoid I followed the wires and found one wire had become completely severed. Must have been hanging by a thread for a while there - anyways.. a short trip to radioshack and armed with some correct gauge wire and splicers and I had her moving in a jiffy. The wire I replaced had 4200 stamped all down it.. oh how clever that little computer is :)

Thanks for your help guys and Ralph - kudos for being such a good sport with the solenoid diagram :drinkup

Wayne

Fishfiles

Rats love wires

Since the storm here i New Orleans we see alot of rat damage , my buddy who is a fireman and lets his truck sit for 24 hours at a time had his wiring harness eaten , it cost him $4,600 to have the damages repaired by the dealership , the truck was under warranty but they said that rats were not covered , he paid for it and is fighting the insurance to cover it , I need to call him today and see how it's coming along with that one

mrwildbill

pressure relief valve

i was told there was a pressure release valve you could turn to let machine roll freely when engine is off but i don't know for sure

petepeters

roll free?

753 locked up,traction lock,it is in garage and cant get the cab raised,no overhead room,please help with pressure relief valve knowledge,i need to move out of garage to work on,,any help would be grateful!!!!!!!!

mrwildbill

hey pete, a guy told me that orange knob on right side of seat would release pressure(turn 1/4 turn and pull up) but it never made mine roll--valve could be stuck? i had to raise cab and take locking bar out to get mine to roll. someone else said to turn key on and hold green button down for 30 sec. to manually override valve but that didn't work either! hope this helps...

petepeters

thanks, mr wild bill, I believe the orange square knob on the right side does relieve pressure, but, it's to let pressure off of the front lift, if your'e caught in the up position and need to manuallly let it down,I really appreciate the info, if i can remove some boards in my shop, I might be able to get the cab raised,then try to do what you did, remove the bar,,,,this seems to be a great site with some very good advice coming from some great people, i just received the manual for the 753, so if anyone needs info from it let me know.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,,.,.,.,.,

durbsdad

2004 Bobcat 553 traction lock problem

Hi, thanks for taking the time to read this ... i recently bought a bobcat 553 and it now refuses to move - the BICS diagnostic is #3 - traction lock hold solenoid circuit shorted to ground (Traction LED blinks 3 times on the BICS). The problem was progressive - it would sometimes lock when i was working, and over a period of a few days got worse, now it won't move at all. The lock engages seconds after i disengage it after starting the bobcat.

I have check the voltage at the solenoid - it is 7.5v instead of the required 12v. I've checked all visible wiring and it is in good shape - when I bought the bobcat, the wiring harness had been replaced. The fuses, relays, connections etc all appear good. The wiring appears to be good... i've not opened the harness cover on the wiring. The alternator is pushing out a healthy 12.5v and the battery is strong.

I am at a loss as to what to do short of getting a bobcat dealer to come out... any thoughts? Also, I don't have a service manual and would welcome one.

I am a homeowner and this is the first time i've used a bobcat - i bought it because i have a lot of work to do to my landscaping...

Thanks in advance,
David

nobull1

Charter Member
Occupation
Same as interests
12.5 volts from the alternator is not good. It should be 1-1.5 volts higher. I would start there and maybe you have a dead battery from a defective alternator.

AndyJKay

Bobcat 763 traction release

I have a 763 that is about 10 years old, gets used very little but it is now having a traction lock issue. When I push the green button I hear the sylinoid clunk but nothing happens or sometimes the wheels will free up but the lift and tilt wont release and then mysteriously it will work again for a while

what do you guys think?

Thanks
Andy

Occupation
Landscape construction
Im having troubles with my 2000 t190 the traction lock is coming on when Im working all lights are going off but the seatbar light anyone know what this could be.

marvschuh

bobcat 753 traction lock

I've got the same problem and fairly stumped at this point. I've bypassed the wiring and ran the solenoid with external power and it runs just fine. If I hook it to the system then on start up it works for about 5 seconds then I get 7.5 volts on the hold side which turns off the solenoid. It has the Boss/BICS System so I get the traction lock light flashing 3 times indicating "traction lock hold coil circuit shorted to ground. Checked all the wiring and found to be good. All connections clean and working. Brake relay working properly. Battery voltage at 13.4 I'm wondering now if the BICS controller or BOSS controller have problems. Anybody out there with any suggestions? Marv

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
How did you bypass system marvschuh? There are three wires to that solenoid coil. One is ground, one is positive voltage hold, the third is secondary coil to engage solenoid. That one should only have voltage on it for no more than 5 seconds or it will fry the coil. It's possible this secondary circuit is bad in the coil and that's what the BICS is sensing. It's a common problem with these types of solenoid coils.