• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 753 - Pulled engine, fixing leaks and fan drive.

colson04

Lifting frame looks pretty good, you've been practicing your welding?

I don't think the frame is going to be the weak link in this operation. And extend the legs.

View attachment 280960

I wondered if anyone would catch that. I bought the lift in the shape it is in around 2008. I plucked a handful of engines that summer with it before a friend pointed that out to me. The heaviest was a GM 6.2L Diesel from an rotted K20. I've never extended the legs, don't know if I could now. One of the legs is bent, it won't touch the ground until we put a load on it.

Old Doug

For some resone i have a new set of legs if you were closer. I all so have a complete hoist laying in my scrap pile i already have one i told a friend he could have it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Buy a appropriate sized Clevis for the Chain and use it to pin the hook or a similarly sized Clevis eye Hook, easy fix.

Nice work.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
I built one of those engine pulling brackets once!

One thing I ran into a lot on the 753/853 series is the plastic fuel tank right under the engine leaking. Rocks would find their way onto the top of the fuel tank, and then grind away between the engine oil pan and the fuel tank. Sometimes making leaks in the fuel tank, sometimes making leaks in the oil pan.

crane operator

Bolt in a second piece of chain, right beside the original one, and put chain on each side of the hook with a longer bolt. Will put the bolt in straight shear, vs. just trying to pull the washer off/ twisting.

And extend the legs. :)

colson04

Finally got back on this today

Lifting device worked as intended. Wheels on hoist are seized and it took a lot of effort to get it to slide back.
20230228_101005.jpg 20230228_101009.jpg

There is one heck of a mouse nest on top of the fuel tank and a lot of grease, grime, and oil to clean up.
20230228_101101.jpg
I'm going to replace a couple hydraulic hoses to the loader arms and double check torque on other hydraulic fittings while the engine is out. Make sure everything is properly torqued.

The engine is going on a dolly to be wheeled outside and power washed so it can be resealed.

colson04

Fielder's choice:
20230228_110056.jpg 20230228_110107.jpg 20230228_110013.jpg 20230228_110029.jpg

Tearing it down to pull engine showed the fitting on hydraulic pump was loose and seeping. It had fresh oil on it when I went to remove the hoses and the lock down nut was loose. As for the engine, it looks like front gear cover is seeping all the way around, especially around the injection pump. Also looks like the main crank seals are seeping on both ends and possibly the end seal on the hydrostatic pump. There is some gunk around input shaft on the hydrostatic pump. I have to pull the pulley and take a good look. I don't have that seal, but there is a good hydraulic shop close by that can service pump if need be.

Also, the fan drive assembly that sits above the pumps has a seeping seal at the input shaft. It could be the cause of the buildup at input shaft on pumps as it would leak 80w90 right down onto that area.

colson04

Power washed engine, scraped out everywhere we could inside the chassis. The fuel tank was suctioned to the bottom of the chassis from all the oil and grease that made its way underneath it. Just foul. Found another mouse nest in front of left side drive motor. I'm going to split engine from pump and put it on a stand to get it resealed. I'm debating on taking the pump in to the local hydraulic shop. Machine ran fine when I brought it into shop, but wondering if servicing it now may prevent unknown downtime later.

20230228_162715.jpg 20230228_162722.jpg 20230228_162729.jpg 20230228_162738.jpg

colson04

I put a new pickup tube in this skidsteer about 3 years ago. I'm familiar with them. My brother heard something rattling in the tank earlier, I had to explain what it was.

colson04

Look at you splurging for a new hook. How will the Mrs. afford a new purse with you throwing nickels around like manhole covers?

I found it in my drawer of random things I've bought at the hardware store. I have a pile of 5/16" and ⅜" grab hooks, but that was the only slip hook I had in my stash. Figured it was meant to be.