• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 753 keeps blowing engine fuse!!

kamshaft

753 bobcat, every time I turn the key to run, it pops the engine fuse. I unplugged the alternator, and it started, but after I shut it off and tried to start it again, it popped the fuse again! Please help!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to HEF kamshaft. :drinkup

Is your 753 a C, F, or G series machine? What's the machine serial number?

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Ok, it's either a C or F series, the G series s/n started with 515 and 516.

The C series has a two piece rear door, orange at the bottom with a black piece on the top of the rear door and rectangle headlights.

The F series has a one piece stamped rear door, all orange, and rectangle headlights.

The G series has triangle shaped headlights.

I'll noodle through the drawings, but what I've viewed so far looks like the engine fuse (fuse 5) powers the red/white ignition wire through the ignition switch circuit, there's going to be a number of things feeding from that circuit.

BTW, does it have the BOSS monitor system? The BOSS system has a display panel on the right side where ignition switch is located. Not the same thing as the BICS controller with the 4 LED lamps.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Watch out for the electric fuel shutoff if it has one . I have seen them short out and blow the fuse on other bobcats. It should be down by the bottom right corner when you open the rear door.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That's the most likely culprit I'm seeing on the wiring diagram since you have a rocker switch to activate glow plugs. I'd disconnect the harness from the fuel shutdown timer module, then turn on ignition and see if it still blows F5.

kamshaft

Ok, sorry it's been so long, I did replace the fuel shut off solenoid before I posted the question. I thought it was the alternator, because I could unplug it, and it wouldn't blow the fuse, but then I would plug it back in, and it wouldn't immediately blow the fuse. In fact sometimes it would blow abruptly later in the week upon loading someone. So I replaced the alternator and it ran great for a few days. Yesterday it blew the fuse while running again, and I tried unplugging the alternator again, it ran for a few seconds and blew it, and continued to blow it when turning the key. I put in a fuse this morning, and it popped it again upon turning the key, so I plugged the alternator back in, put in another fuse, and it started and ran good for 10 minutes and blew it again.