• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 753 "gushing" hydraulic fluid beneath seat on right hand side of machine.

CarpenterRick

Machine was running great, has approx 1800 hrs. All of the sudden a warning buzzer went off and hydraulic fluid was dumping from the underside of the machine. Refilled with fluid, cab up, started machine, no visible leaks but fluid is rapidly collecting on right hand side. Literally lost 3 gallons of new fluid in seconds.

Any one have any ideas?

Thank you,
Rick

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
There are many things that can spring a leak on those machines, hard for us to say exactly what's doing it. But losing gallons of fluid in seconds, I would think that would not be hard to find if you raise the cab and start the engine. :)

pruet

I would check the hyd hoses going down to the steering motors. I have also changed out the aluminum hydraulic pumps that leak only when under pressure

CarpenterRick

Hey fellas,
I felt the same way....that something of this magnitude would be very obvious with the cab raised. Did raise the cab, started the engine, and believe it or not, cannot find the leak...only a flood of fluid in the bottom right side (pan/ undercarriage?) of the machine. Any ideas? Appears to only leak (extremely high pressure, obviously) when the engine is running.
Thanks again for your help,

Rick

BDFT

That fluid has to be coming from somewhere. Probably the main supply line to the control valve or to the drive motor. Maybe a split control valve block, although I've never seen that happen. Does the 753 even have the control valve on the right?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, here's what I would do, but I advise using all due caution doing this. Raise loader arms and install safety prop on right side. Jack the machine up and support wheels off ground with sufficient stands or blocks. Raise the cab, make certain the cab lock properly locks cab. Start engine, let it remain at idle. Inspect compartment with good light looking for leak, but avoid allowing any stream of oil to spray your skin. Check the main loader control valve on right side and check the work equipment pump mounted on the end of the tandem drive pump. The pressure outlet fitting of work pump is on the backside (engine side) of pump, be sure and check that area for failed o-ring on pump outlet fitting.

Still don't see leak, lower cab enough to drop seat bar and activate drive/equipment enable button, raise cab back up. Move drive levers back and forth checking for leaks in drive pumps and motors. Operate the foot pedals, gently raise loader arms. Remember, arms are only going to raise a bit because you have the safety prop fitted. Gently let arms back down to prop being careful not to cram it into safety prop too hard. Operate the bucket tilt up and down. Doing this should reveal the source of your leak. Be careful. ;)

xcmark

Occupation
construction
I Caution you on getting hydrolic fluid sprayed on skin at high pressure. If it gets into your skin go to the ER right away , some times if it let go to long you can be faced with looseing a hand ,arm or what ever get sprayed.......

rpacbigpipe

most likely the main hose take the right rear tire off and there is a small access panel after you lift the cab and suck out the oil

dayexco

be my guess it's the hydraulic motor seal that drives the chains inside the case under the seat...oil is spraying inside the case, case "sort of" containing it..til it hits place where it can run out. had it happen w/my 863

digsalot

My old 753G had a bad leak on the right side, valve body needed resealed, we took it out and had the dealer reseal it.

Real tough to remove. Put it back in and it still leaked, took it in to the stealer and they fixed it but not without trying to charge me for other repairs they did not do? Bobcat enterprises in oh truly a stealership.

I said I would never buy another Bobcat because of the dealer here.
But I had many hard hours and that was the only big problem I so I bought another.

hiniker88

i would have to agree that its the main supply hose to the control valve if its gushing that bad

BGG

It could,also be the hoses for the power bob-tach. If you have one. The valve is on the back side of the hyd.pump/ right side of the machine.

2frankh

Repaired one with similar problem. The lift tilt spools leaking. They have a cap on the ends, didn't find the leak until i took the cap off. Bobcat charged about $100 to rebuild it out of the machine and said 4 to5 hours of labor on top of that if they took it out. With the cap off it will spray straight toward the back of the machine.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Willie the 863 is gone/sold, now the 753 is left. Ive only had it a few weeks and it has been sitting for about a year. Ive used it about 8 total hrs, since I bought it, a few days ago
I started losing hyd fluid, I noticed signs of oil coming from the front top inspection plate (between your legs) I took the plug out of the case fill (front of the machine) and about 6 gals came out. I filled the hyd tank back up and moved it about 25 ft and shut it down. Today I went to move it and I couldnt tounch the oil (on the dipstick) put about 3 gals in and moved it about 30ft to the shop, about 4 hrs later I checked the hyd oil and couldnt touch it, HUMMM Now Im thinking drive motor seal blowed and oil going in gear case
Now Im thinking sell this piece of crap, cheap.
Do you think its the drive motor?
How do you know which one it is?
How bad is it to change and what is the replacement or rebuild cost?
Machine seems to work OK except for that, is it worth repairing?
Last question, the upper right, console guage panel is real real dim, you can hold a flashlight up to it and see the lights working, but you would never see it without a light. HUMM

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yep, it's the drive motor. Which one, I'd pull them both and inspect them, you'll usually be able to tell which one has failed. I'm not certain about the 753, but many Bobcats have a sprocket shaft carrier housing that the motor bolts on to. When the motor fails and pressurizes that case, it will blow the seal out in the shaft carrier housing, pretty easy to see.

Gauge console probably has a backlight not working, haven't replaced one before, don't really know what type of lamp is in there.

Here's a link to Bobcat replacement motor to give you an idea of cost.

http://www.loaderpartssource.com/bo...05-6682034-s175turbo-s185turbo-s205turbo.html

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Just for kicks I called my local Bobcat dealer, $1500-$3000 for a drive motor, twice as much as the link you sent me
Thanks for the info

pete13

I have a bobcat s220 and the bucket tilt falls on its on and it does it on or off. both tilt cylinders are rebilt and still have same problem.. I have did everything possible looking for a leak and cant find one.. i dont have a schematic or service manual.. so im looking for some input on what to check next. thanks for any help