• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 731 info

theronbt

Hi. I am new to posting in this forum. I have been reading a lot of very good information on this forum and joined. I am looking to buy a 80's model bobcat 731. I am interested in this machine because I can buy it very reasonable. Do any of you have a 731? What are the pros and coins of it. I will be using it for loading my GMC 7000 moving round bales of hay and just use on a small farm. With the 30 HP engine I was wondering if it would be big enough? I am also looking at either a 4 in 1 bucket. Bale spear. Or possibly a trencher. How would this machine handle attachments or should I look for a bigger machine?
Thanks for your response in advance

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
I have a 732 and I absolutely love it! Your 731 will have a Deutz air cooled Diesel engine. I have no experience with these engines but from what I hear they're pretty bulletproof. The rest of the machine is the same as far as I know. Our 732 has been very reliable, but I should add that the u-joint between the engine and the pumps can lead to some major damage if it's not maintained. I have a 66" 4 in 1 bucket I use on the 732, it's a bit too big for the machine but it works great for what I do with it, and I wouldn't want to be without it! We also run a wood splitter with it. For moving round bales it should be plenty powerful. What do your bales weigh? I think these machines are rated at 1300lbs rated operating capacity with a 2600lb tipping load... I'd say if the price is right and the condition appears ok go for it!

theronbt

The bales I plan on moving with it are 800-1200 pounds.
The engine is leaking oil. Not really sure where at I just see it on the pan. Any suggestions on where to look would be appreciated.
Also the tilt cylinder is leaking pretty bad. What is the best way to fix it repack. Used cylinder. Or just spend the money and buy a new one?

DieselFuel

tilt cylinder leak could be fixed with just a re-seal kit, if the actual cylinder housing is OK of course, if the housing itself is damaged and not allowing a proper seal then it may need to be replaced. would need more info (maybe a Picture?) on the engine for suggestions

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
My dad had a 731 on the farm. When machines get this old, how it was maintained has a huge part of what your experience will be with it. My dad had his for years. They were always wrenching on it. All skid steers are hard to work on, this one is exceptionally so. They kept it to clean stalls because it was small, but bought a CASE 430 for everything else. They did not make these models very long it does not look like to me. I would never suggest anyone buy one. I would try and find a 743. It was an excellent machine, they made a boat load of them and they are pretty cheap to buy. If you wanting to move 1200 bales you should really be looking for 1500=1700 ROC machine. So when you go over rough/uneven ground or pickup the wet/frozen bale you have a safety factor built in. just my thoughts

theronbt

Well when I was looking at the 731 I noticed a fuel leak. I shut the fuel petcock off and it still leaked fuel out on the ground. I am pretty sure it is coming from the tank. Do these tanks usually leak when they get older or should I look somewhere else?
How hard is it to pull the tank off? When I was looking at it it doesn't look too easy

frogfarmer

The fuel line could be leaking on a machine that old but the tank could also be at fault. If you lift the cab you should be able to get at the tank fairly easy. Two large nuts in the front corners of the cage hold the cage down. Remove the nuts and the whole cage should lift. Im with the guys above unless its a cant pass deal I would be looking for a 743 or similar larger machine. I have loaded and unloaded bales for years and wouldn't want less than a 1700lb machine. Most of my bales are 1000-1500lbs but on occasion I get one that is real heavy. Loading and unloading isn't a problem but trying to move the bales any distance can be a chore. If you get a skid you will be in love they are a wonderful addition to any farm.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
The 30 series machines don't have tilt-up cabs so you'll have to remove the cab, not a big deal if you have a suitable lift. Once the cab is up you unstrap the tank and take it out. Now if only I could remember if the back wall of the cab comes with the cab or if it's bolted to the machine... Either way not hard to remove, you may need to unbolt the seat from the machine, 6 bolts and she's off... If I remember right it's a fibreglass tank so even if it leaks you could probably fix it pretty easy with a fibreglass repair kit...