• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 709 backhoe Boom repair or replace?

sierradmax

I purchased a used bobcat backhoe attachment (709) that had two hairline cracks in the boom. They were on both sides of the mount where the arm cylinder attaches. To my stupidity, I neglected to repair and just recently, it reached its limit and is now out of commission. Should I have it straightened and have some additional plates welded or should I look into another one. I'm assuming these aren't cheap and may be a couple weeks out.

2012-05-20174320.jpg

2012-05-20174334.jpg

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I would have it repaired. That does not look like an overly expensive repair for a competent wielding repair shop.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I vote repair also. And I bet you can get new pin bosses from Bobcat. Have a competent welding shop cut out the damaged metal, fab new plates, weld in new pin bosses, apply some white paint and your good to go.

sierradmax

I called my dealer to price out a new one. $3600...! Looks like repairing it will certainly be cheaper.