• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 442 Pros and Cons and what are common problems with them

fourwheelinj1

Occupation
Project Manager
I am going this weekend to look at an 2004 Bobcat 442 with 2700 hours on it to buy for our farm. This is definitely not my first choice of brand/model machine but it is all i can find in this size machine within my budget. I am looking for info from people who own or have operated a 442 or its twin the terex HR32. I want to know what is good and bad about it and what are common problems on them that i might need to look out for. Please don't say get a CAT or Takeuchi or Bobcats suck type of stuff because frankly that is just not helpful. Like I said if money wasn't an issue I would buy a major brand, but for a farm with limited use this is all we can afford to buy. I am just trying to make sure I don't end up with a piece of junk. I have heard a lot of people say they are crap and I have heard several people say they are really good. My local dealer says they were excellent machines. I have also heard that the newer models had more problems but I am hoping that the 2004 is one of the better model years. Thanks for any help. I just want to know what to look out for when I go to look at it.

melli

What engine is in those things? Can't remember, but a thread on this site talked about 442s....some made in Germany....depends on year.
They were over engineered, is the jist I got.

I would take plenty of pics of nameplates on that thing...then research it.

bobcat1

We have had 1 for a year now .Deutz engine good on fuel but likes to be nice and warm. You will need a special adaptor for grease gun to set tension on tracks. We do a lot of work around high voltage collection lines for wind towers and the machine has good feel and response at the controls for this kind of work. Don't regret buying this machine.:thumbsup

fourwheelinj1

Occupation
Project Manager
Currently in negotiations with owner over price. We were told that the air conditioner worked good and then when we get there the a/c compressor is missing and the a/c lines for the compressor are laying in the bottom of the engine compartment. He also claimed that he had a replacement cylinder for the hydraulic thumb since the original one has heavy scaring on the rod,but the replacement cylinder is the wrong diameter and length. I offered him a couple of thousand less given these issues and we are waiting to hear back. This model has a liquid cooled duetz engine not oil cooled like a lot of them.

fourwheelinj1

Occupation
Project Manager
Well it looks like we have made a deal. Now I just have to find a hauler to ship it to me.

fourwheelinj1

Occupation
Project Manager
Well, honestly I don't think this guy is dishonest but just really ignorant about equipment. He is an electrician who bought the machine to do a few small projects on his mountain property. He had never run heavy equipment before just farm tractors. I talked to the gentleman who owned it previously before the current seller and he didn't have anything bad to say about the machine other than parts are expensive. I maybe wrong but for $23k with only 2700 hrs hopefully i will be ok.

mudnducs

Occupation
retired mech eng
I had one for about 5 years. It was a great machine. Plenty of power for moving around large fir trees (30-48')..in sections. Quiet in operation. Smooth controls that seemed touch sensitive.
Only problem I ever had was low oil pressure light inside the cab. It kept warning me when it was running fine. I installed a manual gage to check...all fine. Turned out to be a bad connection on the circuit board in the right hand control side. (this took a lot of time and frustration to find). Sold it in September because I moved to Tennessee.
That was the only problem I ever had. Id buy another if I could find one.

PS It had the turbocharged Deutz engine.

Makers Acres

Occupation
Imagineer
Haha, maybe I ended up with the same unit! Since I got mine in July, it has been throwing a low-pressure oil light as well. I am working on a couple of other projects, so I have put this project on the back burner with a few moments to look at it here and there. I bought a pressure tester and it is in the 85-95 psi range, which to me seems high, but no one can confirm otherwise and the service manual never mentions an ideal pressure for this. If you would not mind, can you tell me where exactly you found the problem?
I still need to try and find someone who has one so I can get them to grab some measurements for me for the front door as mine was missing the glass and the window frame. Bobcat wants $2500 just for the glass and they were not even sure that they could get the metal frame anymore.

mudnducs

Occupation
retired mech eng
Haha, maybe I ended up with the same unit! Since I got mine in July, it has been throwing a low-pressure oil light as well. I am working on a couple of other projects, so I have put this project on the back burner with a few moments to look at it here and there. I bought a pressure tester and it is in the 85-95 psi range, which to me seems high, but no one can confirm otherwise and the service manual never mentions an ideal pressure for this. If you would not mind, can you tell me where exactly you found the problem?
I still need to try and find someone who has one so I can get them to grab some measurements for me for the front door as mine was missing the glass and the window frame. Bobcat wants $2500 just for the glass and they were not even sure that they could get the metal frame anymore.

I'll see if I can find pictures. It was a connector in the upper electronic board under the display as I recall.

mudnducs

Occupation
retired mech eng
It was this panel. 2 tiered electronic board Kubota console marked.jpg

It was one of the small connectors going directly onto the board. They're snug so puling them on/off took a needle nose pliers. It was corrosion in the pin and socket. Cleaned it up with a toothbrush. Problem went away.

But I'm here to tell you I did a LOT of cussing trying to find the problem.