• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 442 overheating issue

carlhwv

Occupation
Builder to the core
We have been working the machine a bit after purchasing a couple weeks ago. It’s a 2003, Duetz water cooled engine, built in 2003, with 3900 hours on the clock. I’ve got a complete filt r it ordered along with a few other parts...bushings mostly..on order.

We have a few problems that we are starting to troubleshoot and thought I’d reach out to see if there may be some advise that could help us along. I think we need to replace the gauge panel. After starting and running for a few minute, both the bucket gauge and the temp gauge peg all the way. If we tap on the console they come back but not for long. Checked connections and wire look good. Is it time for a new panel?

The more pressing issue is the engine, after working for a few hours pretty hard, is getting hot. After cooling down with the covers raised she will run for a while then heat up again. When it started puking out antifreeze we decided to park her till we solved the issue.

Not knowing anything about this machine and ch caking all of the fluids and air filter, is the thermostat is the next likely culprit? I checking he service manuel and it list the possible causes...injector pump, values, etc, but on the surface it seems to be running fine.

One other problem that might be related is that we are waiting on replacements for the rubber top for the thumb control. Right now, the only way to retract it is to use the aux flow switch on the panel that you only use to run a hammer. I’m wondering if this...a stick switch, coupled with running the hydros hard digging might be enough to over heat the engine?

I’m sure we will get to the bottom of it. I’d like to use it, but I’m not willing to burn her up being impatient.

Any thoughts addital thoughts?

Last edited: