• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 325 Restore

02SILVER

So I have slowly outgrown the 1.5 ton Mini ex that I have, so I decided to pick up this 3 ton Bobcat 325D at a local auction recently. The mini checks out mechanically perfect with tight pins, quick connect, new tracks and sprokets sitting at 2,744hrs on the clock. It was owned by a city government so everything seems to have been maintained, but it looks like it has never been stored inside. So in order to make it look as good as it runs, I will be painting along with very light body work to bring it up to my appearance standards. I have also ordered a pin on hydraulic thumb and new decals to round out project. Hopefully the Pictures work

How I got it:

Taking off the ROPS and Primer

A rough strip over rust spots reveals deep pitting and a hole on the cowling. Cover with primer and come back with bondo the next day( My first time using bondo).

More to come...

02SILVER

anthony phone 043.jpg

I recieved the decals in the mail yesterday from an ebay purchase. They seem to be of good quality but only time will tell. Definitely need two people to help apply them to the machine.
anthony phone 005.jpg

anthony phone 006.jpg

anthony phone 007.jpg

Hopefully the hydraulic thumb will arrive today as tracking number dictates. :)

JGibson

Great Job, and you won't be sorry having a hydraulic thumb, I couldn't live without mine!

02SILVER

Thanks for the kind words guys! I would venture to say that I have close to 25 hours in prep and paint. Here is a picture of the thumb that I ordered and put on. I am very pleased with the craftmanship and quality that Show Time Fabrication has put in this product and that it is a completely bolt on kit.

20141108_153508.jpg

20141108_153554.jpg

I have at this point put close to 40 hours on the machine with no trouble, my next project for this machine is to build or get a mower for it. I am wondering if I should go conventional deck or flail. A flail mower I am looking at is the xterra ex 30 micro offered by skidsteer solutions online. Does anyone have experience with their models or company?

joispoi

FLAIL mower ONLY!

A conventional deck can send the debris flying back at you in the operators seat.

02SILVER

I was able to find a small 30 inch boom mounted hydraulic flail mower designed for compact tractors! I mounted a coupler and had to run a case drain line on my machine to make it work but it was very easy. I am very impressed with its preformance, I estimate the mower to weigh 150 lbs with coupler. It has eaten through 2" thick brush!

20141112_162759[1].jpg

20141118_143707[1].jpg

20141119_085003[1].jpg

20141119_121312[1].jpg

20141119_134221[1].jpg

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I would still recommend a lexan shield for mowing, but that's a very nice restoration looks like it just came out of the factory in Gwinner, ND.

pondo

Is temperature of hydraulic fluid an issue?

I was thinking of same setup but worried I would need a secondary hydraulic cooler?

02SILVER

The highest temp I recorded was 160 degrees f when worked hard in brush during a 4 hour period.