• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Blown cap on a JD310a Bucket cylinder

fiatmom

I just had my cylinder for my JD310a rebuilt and was told the threads were weak. I installed it and the cap blew off. The threads are stripped, the cap will thread on but will not stay on. Is there a way to repair this? I was thinking of welding it on or drilling the cylinder where the set screw is and putting in 3 or 4 grade 8 bolts. I hope I do not need a new cylinder.
Nick

morpheos137

Yeah I'd weld it. If you're not proficient in welding pay someone else to do it. I would imagine that it is critical that the weld is made carefully so that the heating and cooling and contracting doesn't pull the cylinder out of round. Also make sure the cylinder is fully retracted and the wiper seal doesn't get overheated when welding. It might be cheaper and safer just to get a used cylinder with a good gland nut and repack it.

I can't imagine how the threads would be stripped on the gland nut / cylinder end or how the shop could torque it to spec with stripped threads. I'd be interested in seeing a picture.