• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Black & Decker

56wrench

Ya, they weren’t very popular around here. Sioux had the majority of the market for many years

Old Doug

I may have told this before but when i was about 9 back in the 70s i found a Black and Decker drill in a trash can. The cord was cut off and brushes worn out. I wrote a letter to them wanting to find out how to buy brushes ? They sent me a set for free. I fixed the cord and used it for years.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
You can s
That explains it then.I’ve got loads of Dewalt drills and grinders in the workshop.
I also recall having green coloured Hitatchi cordless tools aswell
You can still buy Black and Decker. But they are the same company now, with Dewalt being a bit higher end

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Black and Decker is nowadays, just a large holding company for many different items. Whatever they buy out, they usually cheapen it up, and eventually run it into the ground. I try to avoid buying anything owned by Black and Decker.

Legdoc

Black and Decker is nowadays, just a large holding company for many different items. Whatever they buy out, they usually cheapen it up, and eventually run it into the ground. I try to avoid buying anything owned by Black and Dec
Absolutely correct. In the 60's and 70's B&D had some good tools. From the 80's on they made many acquisitions and destroyed everything they touched. To re-gain marked share they needed to come up with a quality brand so Dewalt was it. I'm surprised they haven't bankrupt them. They even made cheap home coffee makers. I went to Makita in the 90's and never looked back.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
B&D, lately, has been heavily investing in lawn maintenance equipment companies. They have bought MTD, makers of Cub Cadet and dozens of other "cheap, junky" mower brands, as well as Excel Industries, maker of Big Dog and Hustler mowers. I believe they have stopped production of the Big Dog line.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Black and Decker was the brand of valve surfacing and seat grinders we got at the shop back in the 1970's.

Last I knew they were still sitting unused in the shop as upper management decided to outsource most major engine work in the early 2000's.

cfherrman

B&D, lately, has been heavily investing in lawn maintenance equipment companies. They have bought MTD, makers of Cub Cadet and dozens of other "cheap, junky" mower brands, as well as Excel Industries, maker of Big Dog and Hustler mowers. I believe they have stopped production of the Big Dog line.

Great brand new cheap junk expensive mowers are going to get worse

Welder Dave

Hustler used to be top of the line commercial mowers with dual-path hydrostatic drive. They had a hillside model too that the the cab tilted. Early version was 4 wheel drive and they updated it to 6 wheel drive.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Hustler used to be top of the line commercial mowers with dual-path hydrostatic drive. They had a hillside model too that the the cab tilted. Early version was 4 wheel drive and they updated it to 6 wheel drive.
Yes, Hustler had some unique designs back then. Back in the mid 90's, or so, they canned their whole lineup of mowers. Redesigned everything to look and mow like their competitors, with more standard looking ZTR machines and commercial walk behinds. Some of their models were pretty darn good, while some, well, not so much. I believe they have always struggled and have been for sale several times in the past. Still, were one of the nicer machines on the market. Time will tell if B&D turns them to junk like CC.

Welder Dave

Excel Industries that owned Hustler used to build ROPS canopies for JD machines. My dad sold Hustler mowers back in the 70's. They had the same drive system as a hydrostatic skid steer with dual pumps and dual motors. No steering wheel. There were 2 levers in the middle for independent control. Took a little getting used to. Easiest way to run them was with one hand. Great for going around tree's without tearing up the grass. Somebody from Hustler worked for my dad for a short time. Being more expensive Hustler's were never going to sell as many units as less expensive machines like Toro Grounsmasters. My dad dropped the Hustler line because all of a sudden they expected him to sell an unrealistic amount of machines. There just wanted a big enough market despite them being the best commercial mower you could buy. The model 295 really set the bar. It used a 2 cylinder Continental industrial engine not a Renault sourced 4 cylinder like in Toro Grounsmasters. About the only thing to ever need fixing was the electric clutch to engage the blades. My dad brought a 402 Hillside Hustler demo machine to our acreage and the neighbor was quite impressed. Had to do a double take when he saw the cab tilted and thought the machine fell over. The cab would tilt automatically or could be done manually. The 402 wasn't around very long before the 602 with 6 wheel drive replaced it. Very well built but expensive machines.