• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Biological growth

barklee

I wanted to see if anyone has had any luck using a biological growth remover type product? I have two machines with severe algae deposits in the tank and filters. We had a mechanic come out and he took care of the one machine by removing the fuel tank cleaning it out, replacing all the filters, and blowing out all the lines. I was hoping to replace the fuel, replace filters, and treating the tank. I have used the power service in the past and it did not work at all. Is there something better out there?

mitch504

I used Startron with good results. Believe it or not, the cheapest place I have found to get it is from West Marine's website.

FMD

I wanted to see if anyone has had any luck using a biological growth remover type product? I have two machines with severe algae deposits in the tank and filters. We had a mechanic come out and he took care of the one machine by removing the fuel tank cleaning it out, replacing all the filters, and blowing out all the lines. I was hoping to replace the fuel, replace filters, and treating the tank. I have used the power service in the past and it did not work at all. Is there something better out there?

First thing you need is to see where the microbes are coming from. The microbes need water to survive, so you more than likely have water in your tank and it needs to be diagnosed on where the water is coming from. Use a water paste to see how much water is in your tank (after it sits overnight, use the paste) or send the fuel out for sampling. You can call your petro dealer and order microbe killer or use K-100. Once you treat the fuel, you'll need to remove the dead microbes or they will plug up your filtration on your machine.

ramheadjim

It helps to keep your fuel tanks full when the equipment is not in use to fight condensation, especially in humid areas

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I had this problem after using bio diesel and letting the bio sit in the tanks. My bobcat T250 was the worst, thick algae that clogged the fuel lines and filters. Tackled it by draining and flushing the tank and fuel lines, adding copious amounts of Sea Foam to the fresh fuel and multiple fuel filters. Haven't had a problem since then.

barklee

Well, we pulled the fuel tanks, blew out all the fuel lines, and replaced filters. So far so good....... I also got some stanidyne fuel treatment. I guess we will see how that goes. Thanks for the replies.

boaterri

Occupation
Retired Television Engineer
While it is not a piece of heavy equipment, in my boat I use Howe's Diesel Treat. Have never had any problem with algae in the fuel, half tank, full tank, minimal winter use in New England, does not matter. I believe it works by bonding with the water in the fuel and prevents accumulation. It also adds lubricity and has other benefits for your engine.

Big fuel tanks, temperature swings and winter lay ups are prime candidates for algae growth.

Good luck,

Rick