• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Biggest on the planet

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
What is not Known by Many is That the truck broke down on its way up to the mine site a 7 mile up hill road trip on mine property.49.jpg

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
That picture of the Titan with the hoe in the back inspired this, we were going to have to walk the 308 about 3 miles to the pit to load some rock, I told the boss I knew it would work because I saw it in a book.

Did that thing climb in there just from the small berm where the picture is taken?

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
In April 1971 I started work at Kaiser in the PM bays in the shop I hooked up with Ray M who started a few weeks before I did. after 3 months I bid out to a 100 ton driver Ray stayed in shop and moved up the ladder In charge of PM on equipment. I left in late 78 Parts were starting to arrive by then. When the Terex arrive he was given the Job of forman in charge of this truck with a crew of (8) if I remember right. We stayed in touch till late 90's and lost touch then. Over the years I heard lots about this truck wish I would of wrote it down. Tires are filled with Cement so no flats sitting there, also the big engine was sold to help with bills for relocation and painting as Engine was totally enclosed one could not see it.

JPV

That was taken before I unloaded it, I tipped the box up until the machine was going slightly down hill then pulled rock from the stockpile to it to walk it out, to load it I backed the truck in the ditch and ran the machine in from up the bank on the backside of the ditch. Put a little dirt in the box to make a pad and in it went. With the box up a ways it's not that big of a drop.
Hank that makes sense about the tires, I kinda wondered who had to worry about those.

skyking1

From Page 94 above:
" the power the motors generated was conducted to grid resistors, where the energy was dissipated as heat"

That was similar to the ex-Navy diesel-electric derrick I deckhanded on. There were big cabinets in the house with those resistors. When you operated a control and tried to feather it, it dumped current into the grids.