• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bigge 125D AFRD

ben94f150

Occupation
fab
The Bigge125D - 7500 Ton Capacity Super Crane

Bigge Crane and Rigging Co. is manufacturing the world’s largest capacity crane at radius that will forever change large scale modular construction. Bigge’s Super Heavy Lift Cranes are set to be deployed at multiple nuclear power plant construction sites in 2011 and will revolutionize new plant construction.

Bigge’s Super Heavy Lift Cranes have unequaled capabilities - Bigge offers the only machine in the world capable of sitting in a single location and making every large scale super lift on a single or multi unit nuclear power plant site.

Anyone have any more pics images on it?
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-1/611857/Bigge AFLD.jpg
0502_bigge_1.bmp

Last edited:

gostr8r

Occupation
Full time crane operator for Crane Rental Corp sin
That's a cool design! Thanks for the links!!!!!

ben94f150

Occupation
fab
Cant wait to see this bigge crane complete. Being that its on a nuclear job pics will be hard to find

Dualie

anyone have any idea WHERE they are building this? it sure as hell ain't at HQ in San Leandro

ben94f150

Occupation
fab
Kingman, Arizona Had one . One is going to Vc Summer nuclear plant in South Carolina i hear

Hoister

Occupation
Operating Engineer
Usually your mast is held in place by several hundred thousand pounds of weights. That thing is counterweighted by the world lol. Amazing

Kronk

One crane is going to V.C. Summer Nuclear Station in Jenkinsville, SC and the other is going to Vogtle Electric Generating Plant in Waynesboro, GA.

gostr8r

Occupation
Yes the one in Ga is going together now too. I have a close friend there.

ben94f150

Occupation
fab
Yah idk neither about fabrication if it. Would be awesome see real pics of this beast though. All u see online is 3d computer drawing animations of it. Guess bigge dont want pics of it out

heavylift

That monster would have had to been in the air somewhere for testing. Really surprised with the trillion and one cameras out there, no one has capture it.

Unless in still just an animation...

ben94f150

Occupation
fab
This is off of dhs site awhile back from another member Bigge is assembling one of the AFRD cranes in Kingman, Arizona for testing . Anyone in the Northern Arizona/Las Vegas area care to take a road trip for the rest of us? Not sure exactly where but it is by the airport, probably not hard to see. I saw pictures of the boom sections and slewing bogies from a couple weeks ago, it is huge.

I am told that the boom sections are all fabricated

Kronk

Schuff Steel did the fabrication and Laron Incorporated did the machining. The crane is no longer in AZ. Both are on the east coast at their prospective sites.

gostr8r

Occupation
I like the whole concept and it's an impressive design idea. But my thoughts are 'Why the mast going down to the ground anchor point is not tapered out to become bigger at the bottom?' That would give the mast more resistance to forward deflection, at the top, under the massive load weights this beast will be taking way out there. A mast structure that is merely a pole with the same diameter all the way up seems to me, imo, to be weaker than a cone shaped one that got bigger near the base. I would have made the base at least double or even 3X in diameter compared to the diameter at the top where all the tension is being redirected forward/down. I know it's not going to pull itself up out of the footer, but it might bend under long term heavy lift schedules. I'm not an engineer and I don't play one in the field, but my logic is based on the understanding of how the reactionary forces of dynamic loading will be pulling on that mast, trying to bend it forward near the top.

Last edited:

shipman

Just can't see any force but tension in that piece, pinned connections top and bottom ?....until the whole shebang goes over backwards...boom way up, no load, gale force winds....there has got to be a damn fine swivel on there to eh?

heavylift

wind farm type base maybe, the dirt adds tons of weight to hold the towers in place, maybe the crane uses the same type of base.

This is just a guess though. the wind farm base are quite small, 50 foot and about 10 feet tall

Attachments

• Photo282.jpg
    Photo282.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 3,709

ConstSite

Occupation
Construction
Heavylift hit the nail on the head. The entire base of the crane is cast into the ground. Bigge has said that roughly 2,420 cubic yards of concrete will make up just the counterweight. Then there is the poured ring that the track sits on. Here is an early overhead during erection. She'll be an amazing sight when she's up.

afrd_base.jpg

Last edited: