• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Big Tracks

diggerop

Occupation
Plant operator, coal mining/ 25 years
I was going to post these in the digging over drive motors thread when the subject of chains and pins and bushes came up and never did quiet get around to it. I thought that some of you may have never seen the tracks on a large excavator, they(maybe not all) don't have track chains and grouser plates, just one track segment and two pins. The pics will show better than I can describe. The drive thingamajig is called a tumbler. These photos are of a Hitachi 5500, the pic of the top of the track I had to hold the camera up over my head to get it. :cool2

Attachments

• Picture A.jpg
    Picture A.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 536
  • Picture BB.jpg
    Picture BB.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 537
  • Picture C.jpg
    Picture C.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 538
  • Picture D.jpg
    Picture D.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 536
  • Picture E.jpg
    Picture E.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 538

dozerdave

Hi diggerop,

Good shots, thats a lot of steel. An 1800 is the largest ex. I have worked, it was loading Cat 776 belly dumps & 777 end dumps.

blueman

I think the EX1900 is the biggest Hitachi with a traditional chain/shoe undercarriage.
Go bigger and they all have this style which is typical on cranes and massive machines. I guess a chain gets too "tall" and fabricated shoes so wide they couldn't hold the bending stresses generated.