1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Big thanks is in order...

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by Welder Dave, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Just wanted to give a big thanks to a couple very respected members who are helping me deal with the most severe back pain you could ever imagine. 2-1/2hr's. plus just to get out of bed and on my feet kind of pain!

Huge, huge thank you's to Tinkerer and the thepumpguysc for giving me encouragement, support and recommendations to help deal with this. It is helping immensely. There's a few times I was wishing for death rather than deal with the pain. Your support gives me hope it will get better. The PM feature on the site is great as I wouldn't want to post all the issues I'm dealing with on the open forum. Dr. did say I need to try and move as much as possible during the day so I don't end up in a wheel chair. A nurse with the neurology dept. recommended going to a pool to walk around. Said it would be less stressful on my back because the water would provide some buoyancy.

Thank you GUYS!!!

HardRockNM, bccat, DMiller and 15 others like this.
  2. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Welder Dave asked me to post an update on his ordeal that he is going through with his back.
    He has been in a hospital and will be transferred to Cross Cancer Institute next week for treatment of 10 compression fractures in his spine.
    I am praying that he gets well soon.

HardRockNM and DMiller like this.
  3. Bumpsteer

Bumpsteer Senior Member

Mechanical designer
    Thoughts and prayers for Dave and a good recovery.

Ed

oarwhat, DMiller and hosspuller like this.
  4. Welder Dave

The recent 10+ plus fractures occurred since I was admitted to the hospital about 5 days ago. I have multiple myeloma. Fairly rare cancer of the bone marrow. Some good treatment options which is good. Had bone marrow and bone biopsy yesterday. Bone scan would'nt show it. MRI a couple days ago too.

Tinkerer, skyking1 and hosspuller like this.
  5. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

Wow Dave, we get so busted up in this business that the pain seems to be par for the course. Not even your doctors saw that one.
    Hoping for a good recovery for you.

HardRockNM, oarwhat, DMiller and 2 others like this.
  6. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Dave best of luck and keep in touch here as much as you can.

Ken in NY

oarwhat, DMiller and Tinkerer like this.
  7. cuttin edge

cuttin edge Senior Member

Finish grader operator
    There are a lot of cancers and blood ailments triggered by chemicals. My father died from myelodysplastic syndrome. Similar to Dave's illness, but it affects all your blood cells, and is not classed as a cancer. The first thing they asked was if he worked around chemicals like gas, fuel, or oil. The dr said your skin absorbs chemicals like benzene found in oils. Like smoking, not everyone is affected ,but it can cause a lot of ailments in some. I took some of the paper work for it to the guys in the shop at work. Most of them started wearing rubber gloves. Hope Dave's prognoses is a good one. My father waited too long to go to the Dr.

oarwhat, DMiller and Tones like this.
  8. Tones

Tones Senior Member

Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
    Fight with everything you have Dave then find some more. Wishing you the very best.

shopguy, oarwhat and DMiller like this.
  9. colson04

colson04 Senior Member

Best wishes @Welder Dave . I had a back injury years ago that really showed how vulnerable I was. I can only imagine what you're going through. I hope this finally leads you to a path of recovery and relief from the agony you've been dealing with.

shopguy, oarwhat and DMiller like this.
  10. Labparamour

Labparamour Senior Member

Dave,
    Glad you finally have some answers and treatment options.
    You’ve dealt with all your challenges (I realize, though, none like this) head on and I know you’ll do the same here.
    Prayers for you and your medical team.
    Darryl

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    oarwhat and DMiller like this.
  11. Welder Dave

Thanks everyone! Not heridarty and they don't know what triggers it. Good news is have world class cancer treatment center I'm being transferred to early next week.

12. RTSmith

RTSmith Senior Member

Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
    Prayers for you Dave. Fight on! Have always enjoyed your posts, comments, and advice. Keep the Faith!

shopguy likes this.
  13. hosspuller

hosspuller Senior Member

I have no words for you, but you have my best wishes and prayer.

DMiller likes this.
  14. doublewide

doublewide Senior Member

Best to you Dave.

DMiller likes this.
  15. Welder Dave

It's nice just talking or conversing with famalier friends and people with similar interests. It helps take my mind of it. Pain is currently being maintained pretty good. Seems funny to me that there going to use a type of plastic? cement to repair the fractures. I guess they haven't perfected Tig bone welding yet. LoL

bccat, oarwhat, DMiller and 5 others like this.
  16. Volvomad

Volvomad Senior Member

Wishing u the very best with the medical jb weld.

DMiller and stinky64 like this.
  17. mks

mks Well-Known Member

None currently
    Wishing the best for you!

DMiller likes this.
  18. Welder Dave

Curious what the tensile strength of the spine is? X-ray to check root penetration shouldn't be problem. Aha, need a micro plasma welding torch and calcium filler material.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    673moto, oarwhat and DMiller like this.
  19. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Man Dave, cannot even imagine what are going thru to have found multiple myeloma, just WOW! God's grace and aid to you from here, as prayers from here too.

Pixie, shopguy, mks and 1 other person like this.
  20. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Dave-I wish you the best of luck and the issue resides. I can truly understand the pain-I had four discs removed and five fused in my lumbar. I dealt with that for twenty five years until I finally
    found a surgeon that had the understanding and skill to help me. I hope you have people like him to help you. Take care of yourself and be careful with the pain meds.

DMiller, bccat and oarwhat like this.