• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Big thanks is in order...

Welder Dave

Just wanted to give a big thanks to a couple very respected members who are helping me deal with the most severe back pain you could ever imagine. 2-1/2hr's. plus just to get out of bed and on my feet kind of pain!

Huge, huge thank you's to Tinkerer and the thepumpguysc for giving me encouragement, support and recommendations to help deal with this. It is helping immensely. There's a few times I was wishing for death rather than deal with the pain. Your support gives me hope it will get better. The PM feature on the site is great as I wouldn't want to post all the issues I'm dealing with on the open forum. Dr. did say I need to try and move as much as possible during the day so I don't end up in a wheel chair. A nurse with the neurology dept. recommended going to a pool to walk around. Said it would be less stressful on my back because the water would provide some buoyancy.

Thank you GUYS!!!

Tinkerer

Welder Dave asked me to post an update on his ordeal that he is going through with his back.
He has been in a hospital and will be transferred to Cross Cancer Institute next week for treatment of 10 compression fractures in his spine.
I am praying that he gets well soon.

Welder Dave

The recent 10+ plus fractures occurred since I was admitted to the hospital about 5 days ago. I have multiple myeloma. Fairly rare cancer of the bone marrow. Some good treatment options which is good. Had bone marrow and bone biopsy yesterday. Bone scan would'nt show it. MRI a couple days ago too.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
There are a lot of cancers and blood ailments triggered by chemicals. My father died from myelodysplastic syndrome. Similar to Dave's illness, but it affects all your blood cells, and is not classed as a cancer. The first thing they asked was if he worked around chemicals like gas, fuel, or oil. The dr said your skin absorbs chemicals like benzene found in oils. Like smoking, not everyone is affected ,but it can cause a lot of ailments in some. I took some of the paper work for it to the guys in the shop at work. Most of them started wearing rubber gloves. Hope Dave's prognoses is a good one. My father waited too long to go to the Dr.

Labparamour

Dave,
Glad you finally have some answers and treatment options.
You’ve dealt with all your challenges (I realize, though, none like this) head on and I know you’ll do the same here.
Prayers for you and your medical team.
Darryl

Last edited:

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
Prayers for you Dave. Fight on! Have always enjoyed your posts, comments, and advice. Keep the Faith!

Welder Dave

It's nice just talking or conversing with famalier friends and people with similar interests. It helps take my mind of it. Pain is currently being maintained pretty good. Seems funny to me that there going to use a type of plastic? cement to repair the fractures. I guess they haven't perfected Tig bone welding yet. LoL

Welder Dave

Curious what the tensile strength of the spine is? X-ray to check root penetration shouldn't be problem. Aha, need a micro plasma welding torch and calcium filler material.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

Dave-I wish you the best of luck and the issue resides. I can truly understand the pain-I had four discs removed and five fused in my lumbar. I dealt with that for twenty five years until I finally
found a surgeon that had the understanding and skill to help me. I hope you have people like him to help you. Take care of yourself and be careful with the pain meds.