• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

best way to protect hydaulic hose 580k Extendahoe hoses

case310350

Have to change the extendahoe hoses on a 580k. Looks like it had some type of canvas material protecting the hoses. Is there a better product out there? its at the joint of the crowd/boom, so constantly flexing.

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
The hose guarding comes with the new hoses from Case. If you use an aftermarket hose from a hydraulic shop some of them tend to be slightly bigger in diameter and will scrub more. Make sure when you install the hoses they don't get under the top pin on the cylinder. Try not to get a roll on the hoses when tightening.

case310350

hose above the pin, good point would have missed that. I found some original case hoses from ebay but no protection for them. I did not see a PN for that item in the parts book. Any aftermarket product? Also which way is recommend for extendahoe removal: 1 take of exhoe leave exhoe cylinder in. 2. remove all as one piece. Not sure which is the best way

emmett518

The previous owner had bumped the mounts on the top of the backhoe arm for the hoses somewhere before I took delivery, and the first time I extendahoed the unit, I chewed up a hose. I removed the top of the arm bracket, bent and hammered it back the way it came from the factory, and mounted the hoses so that they wouldn't rub or crimp. So far, so good. I used a couple of hose brackets from my local hydro shop as well.

gggraham

Occupation
Oh so you are talking about the bucket hoses on the extendahoe not the actual extendahoe cylinder hoses. Again try not to get a "roll" in the hoses which can be a bit of trial and error to get just the right fit. The hoses should be held on the bracket with a clamp that goes over both hoses. If they are factory hoses they should have a steel collar crimped midway down the hose. I always extended the hoe and tried to get the hoses to lay straight. Now retract the hoe and see if they follow and loop back easily. Tubes may have to be bent outwards a bit etc. Just a trial and error sometimes especially if the hoses are from a hydraulic shop and they are slightly bigger in diameter and stiffer than OEM.

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
The kevlar material gives some protection but it's main purpose to to contain the hydraulic oil when the hose gets a leak. I have it installed before both the fittings are crimped on so it's a snug fit. Like mentioning installing the hoses properly is the best way to protect them not the way they are crossed in my pic.
upload_2022-3-22_8-56-58.jpeg
Putting pics. of what I have of both sets of hose because not sure which you ment.
upload_2022-3-22_9-0-56.jpeg

case310350

The kevlar material gives some protection but it's main purpose to to contain the hydraulic oil when the hose gets a leak. I have it installed before both the fittings are crimped on so it's a snug fit. Like mentioning installing the hoses properly is the best way to protect them not the way they are crossed in my pic.
View attachment 255399
Putting pics. of what I have of both sets of hose because not sure which you ment.
View attachment 255400

God way to do it, while I don't have a tree I'll find something to keep it up thanks

case310350

I am replacing the extendahoe hoses, sorry for the confusion. The hoses in there now are rubber exterior , is it recommended that I go to braided exterior?

gggraham

Occupation
You can do this without lashing it to a tree or using a crane or hoist. 1) Put the bucket flat on the ground with the stick angled approx 45 degrees like the one tied to the tree. 2) Wedge a block of wood under the bucket cylinder at the gland so it can't move if you want put a ratchet strap around the bucket cylinder and outer slide . 3) remove the bucket lines and cap tightly ( buy 2 caps and plugs ) 4) take the main pin out but only far enough to let the extendahoe cylinder drop, it should still be in the stick and one of the links. The extendahoe will stand on it own no need for a hoist or a tree. The wider the bucket the more stable it is. 5) Now you can start the machine and remove the outer slide, it will stand on it's own. If you are a little too rough on it and the block slides out the bucket will curl in and make it more difficult.

Billrog

Occupation
A few pics that may help, if the extendahoe is fully retracted it's eliminates the chance of bending or damaging the cylinder rod.
upload_2022-3-22_14-2-14.jpeg
upload_2022-3-22_14-2-56.jpeg

upload_2022-3-22_14-5-24.jpeg

upload_2022-3-22_14-6-13.jpeg

Billrog

Occupation
There are probably many ways to do this but this is how I've done it on 3 machines so far. It has taken me 4 to 4.5 hrs. each time and that includes taking the hoses and getting new ones made up. They are just normal 1/2 double braided H hoses with kevlar covers. The metal braiding you see the rubber is warnin off.

case310350

Got it off, was not easy, I have seen the videos where it just slides off, had to pull this off with the tractor. The book say not to grease, this was greased at one time and was more of an adhesive than a grease now. The pin was also stuck, thought I would have to cut it out. But with some heat it did come out.

So should I grease the extendahoe?

The hoses failed due to the wrap failing. They grease the wrap i guess so it would slide better. It also did not have the insulators as shown in the parts book. I cannot find Kevlar wrap but there is nylon.

Thanks for the help and the pics. I did it like the pics. if you know where to get the kavlar let me know.