• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best way to get truck home?

Canadian_digger

I bought a 1 ton dump near Scranton PA, I would like to go pick it up myself. I have two options that I was thinking of doing. First is drive up two people and drive both back home. Other is pull a trailer with my pick up. Then to come home I would load my pick up on the trailer and pull it home with the new truck. What would you guys do. I would be driving in PA and NY to get it home. Would I be looking for trouble from DOT? Pulling with a trailer with a truck that only has a temporary plate? Would I have to pull into a DOT inspection station with my pick up on the trailer? If I drove both home would the 1 ton dump have to pull in for inspection?

Thanks

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
not sure about New York. In Pennsylvania there is an annual inspection sticker for all vehicles no matter what size. That will have to be valid. If the one ton dump is going to be under 8,000 gross you should be home free.

Why not just fly down and pick it up by yourself? Where you at in Ontario?

zeeklu

Maybe you could take a bus? Probably fairly inexpensive. Chris

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
6 years ago I trailered home my new pickup from Ma. to NY.Too many ambiguities from Ma. DOT when I questioned them so I simply did the move PDOTH--PAST DOT HOURS.:D I strongly advise you do the same,get to the dealer early AM,figure out what to do for the next 8 hours or so,then trailer her home.Orrrrrr---arrange with the dealer to have your new truck ready after hours and then leave your house or Canada PDOTH,usually after 4PM is the safe zone.Good luck.

Last edited:

lumberjack

I just hauled a chipper from MS to RI, picked up a 28' goose in MA, and drove back to CT before my head gasket/egr cooler blew on the ole 6.0. No tag for the chipper or trailer. Luckily I was at a friend's house so when the engine filled with coolant it was just sitting in his driveway. Yesterday a cousin came up and hauled my truck and trailer to South VA, and my girlfriend is nearly here with my 550 to haul it home.

Never had any troubles.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343392001.996380.jpg

rabia

Banned
In my point of view your 1st option is better as compared to 2nd one. You can use two persons to drive both trucks as compared to pulling 2nd truck with trailer which could be a risky work.

ben46a

Don't forget that you have to have all paperwork (title , bill of sale etc) sent to the border crossing a minimum of 72 hours before you get there or they will make you wait that 72 hours before you'll be allowed to cross into canada.

qcfarmer

Ditto on the paperwork. Also the only legal way is to trailer the new truck home. You can't drive it in Canada without a Canadian inspection so even if you make it to the border, you won't be able to cross it under its own power. Another thing is to check with your insurance company to see if you can insure it on pa temporary plates. If you want the least amount of problems, trailer the new truck home and get it inspected and plated before driving it anywhere.

ben46a

I've never had a problem driving a vehicle across the border as long as I have the paperwork done and a temporary permit. Just make sure its on your insurance.