• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

best size for septic

alexis.marcil

If you had a machine to buy just to do septic work, what would it be? mini ex, full size ex, backhoe, crawler loader...

It seems that around here most people are using mini ex but it can be long because of the size of some system...

Alexis

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
If i was going to gear up to do this kind of work, I wouldn't go with anything smaller then a 320 size machine. A 315 will pick a 1000 gallon seamless, minus the lid, but they don't like it. If you can guarantee that you'll never have to use the machine to set the the tank then anything that will dig down to about 10 feet would be enough.

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
If were keeping it to one machine a Cat 314 with the blade to grade for fill systems and also the 314 be can be moved on a tag a long. Add a swinger bucket for clean up and finish work.

YellowIorn

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Bigger is ALMOST always better:)

I have used many sizes of excavator for septic, I agree with what 95zIV said about a 320 size cat, up in Maine we do a lot of stone beds, I know there is a million ways to do it but I like the 320 size because you can comfortably reach across a typical 25' wide bed. I used to run a Volvo EC240BLC for my old boss, if you have a low bed, thats the cat's ass, it is a little wider then the EC210 machines but you can set a 1000 gallon tank with no sweat any place you want. All our machines had Wimmer digging bucets and tilting clean up buckets, mine had a 30" "pipe" bucket, 6' clean up, and a 5' "bailing bucket, around 3 yard. The reason i give the larger machine a node is that you can flat bottom the with of a bed vs having to stretch out and only being able to use the cutting edge on a 320 size. A big machine makes up for the width and weight by spending more time digging and less time moving around to reach everything, at least in my experence. Whatever size you get, get a clean up bucket, I got real good with a regular bucket the first few years I was in a hoe but when I got the clean up bucket it's just faster and better, for you and the help.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
Round here 120-160 size seems to be the majority of what septic contractors use. Alot of tight yards were 320 size is getting to big, so think of the space you'd have on your job as well. CTL and a mini exc. are a much better set up for septic work than a backhoe. More manueverable, can cross fields unlike a hoe, attachments such a harley rake. CTL is much better at pushin sewer gravel and spreading loam then a backhoe as well.

lgammon

sorry guys we have been putting them in since the 60's. a back hoe is the way to go. they are just faster if you are putting in line type systems. we have a 312 and a 420e. i know you can move more dirt with a bigger machine but with an excavator you have to keep building a pad to sit on and this takes alot more time than just straighting up with the out riggers. now on really steep stuff we bring out the 312 but just cause it is beat to hell and if we turn it over agian it won't hurt it to bad. and out 420e is like new.

YellowIorn

Occupation
Equipment Operator
@ js580sl

Up in Maine the inspectors are real tough. They won't pass you to move forward with your bed if you grade it up with a dozer after you dig it out, they have to see that you scarified it with your teeth. They will fail you if you track any clay or loam onto the sand if you doing one that needs screened cource sand for fill under the stone. Same deal with the stone, we almost always dig all the materials out of the dump trucks to avoid this. When I started in the biz I worked for my uncle, we had a PC150 komatsu and it worked very well, but when I started working for a larger company I started running the 200 size machines with the clean up buckets and found it made for a lot less hand work. thanks for the post, could you explain the Mass rules a little, we have to have an inspection when we stake out the bed, after we dig out and scarifey, and again before we put the fabric over the stone and finish up.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
sorry guys we have been putting them in since the 60's. a back hoe is the way to go. they are just faster if you are putting in line type systems. we have a 312 and a 420e. i know you can move more dirt with a bigger machine but with an excavator you have to keep building a pad to sit on and this takes alot more time than just straighting up with the out riggers. now on really steep stuff we bring out the 312 but just cause it is beat to hell and if we turn it over agian it won't hurt it to bad. and out 420e is like new.

X2--I've never even seen by me in 37 years anyone ever using an excavator.My 410G for me is the perfect rig for all the different types of systems I install.

markshr151

This is interesting, in Fl. the TLB has been the standard for years but is being replaced by the Compact Excavators and skid steer. Moved on a goose-neck.

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
A mid size excavator 17000 pound class and a CTL is what we have found to be the best for all septic installations. We have a 310E Deere that was used until we found out the Komatsu 75UU was much better paired with the CTL.

vcinri

IMHO, We usually use a Cat 315 size excavator. We have the reach and the 360 swing ability which is usually very handy. It has the ability to efficiently dig out most beds and tanks. It is also a little more portable that the 20+ ton machines.
VC

xcv8tr7

Occupation
EXCAVATOR
CAT 307C SB & CTL. I used to do septics with my TLB, but after having this hoe I don't ever want to go back- no more limitations on where I can pile the dirt. Most of the spots that I work in wouldn't allow for a 320 size machine. Another big plus- I've got the dozer blade on front so I can still level myself on a slope without building a pad first. When I first got my machine, I thought I wouldn't use the swing-boom, now I can't believe how much I use it! Everyone has their own way of doing things, may just take some trial and error to see what you like.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Around here it depends on the system. First of all, the tank always comes on a boom truck so there is no need to have a machine large enough to pick the tank.

A simple what we call "conventional system" where everything goes in drainage trenches can be done with a tractor backhoe. A "mound system" consisting of sand on top of chisel plowed sod with clear stone on top of the sand, than fabric cover by clay must be done with a track hoe and small dozer as to rubber tire machines are allowed on the mound. A dozer is required for covering and finishing. I don't do many septics but use my Cat D3 and Cat 215D LC when doing them.

digger104

to place the stone and cover I use a 277B cat tracked skidsteer. One of the most useful machines that I own.

DGODGR

Doing primarily residential construction in a rural area offers me a lot of septic work. I have done systems with my TLB, my mini, and my excavator. As others have said the ability to lift a tank is not often important. Most of the time the truck sets the tank. It has come into play before and my 315 struggles to lift a 1,000 gallon concrete tank. Anything larger and it will have to be set 1/2 at a time (we have tub style tanks here). The backhoe and mini simply need not apply here for that duty. I like the mini for hillside trenches between the trees. It's draw back is that it is at a disadvantage digging the tank hole. Backfilling as well because I like to compact the fill back around the tank. The backhoe works well enough to dig and backfill the tank (have compaction wheel for it so it really does well compacting aroung the tank in lifts). For me the 315 is the best machine for the majority of systems that I do. By far.

danregan

Occupation
Contractor
Up in Maine the inspectors are real tough. They won't pass you to move forward with your bed if you grade it up with a dozer after you dig it out, they have to see that you scarified it with your teeth. They will fail you if you track any clay or loam onto the sand if you doing one that needs screened cource sand for fill under the stone. Same deal with the stone, we almost always dig all the materials out of the dump trucks to avoid this. When I started in the biz I worked for my uncle, we had a PC150 komatsu and it worked very well, but when I started working for a larger company I started running the 200 size machines with the clean up buckets and found it made for a lot less hand work. thanks for the post, could you explain the Mass rules a little, we have to have an inspection when we stake out the bed, after we dig out and scarifey, and again before we put the fabric over the stone and finish up.

In mass, in the towns I work in anyway- you get an inspection when you finish excavating the leaching area, one upon completion. An engineer has to shoot in the final grades and locations before you backfill. We have the same strict standards for stone as well as sand. One town will actually make you turn in your slips for gravel to prove it came from the same pit your sieve analysis came from.
Inspections vary from town to town but some of the inspectors want 'eyes on' the stone under your septic tank, want to put a level on each length of pipe in the field, want a 6" reinforced concrete pad under your H20 Dbox. Some towns want to do a white bucket test on your stone. Each inspector is different. Some insist on speed levelers and some forbid them.

Ive installed systems in Maine, and found for the most part the regs are very similar....though I found using straw hay in lieu of peastone or fabric a little odd.

Ive also installed a system in Tennessee, and I understand why you prefer the backhoe to an excavator, as you install 150' of trench with a continuous plastic corrugated pipe, through the woods, over hill and dale.

I think for the most part, as Jim said a 20 ton excavator that you can deliver and recover yourself with a dump truck and tag trailer is a good way to go. I have 2 20 ton machines with 5 foot clean up/ grading buckets that work very well. Both can lift a 1000 g tank, and a 1500 in sections when necessary.

YMMV

Last edited:

Psycho

For strictly septic work, TLB is the way to go, hands down. I'm running a 580 case, and a 130 hyundai. With both machines at my disposal the TLB puts in 90 percent of my systems. I break out the excavator on extremely steep ground. Otherwise the TLB is simply far faster and more versatile.

digger104

I see that some of you like the plastic tanks, personally I do not like them. you should fill them with water before back filling. I will use one when it is to tough to get a truck in to set a concrete. My brother in law even sells the plastic ones.