• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best mini excavator?

Scuba2612

As a complete newbie here is what I have learnt reading the threads from a purely subjective non technical POV. In no particular order;
CAT - great but expensive
Bobcat - has its followers but they need to put more effort into their product
Yanmar - do what they are designed for. Very few negatives in threads
Takeuchi - same as Yanmar
Kobelco - not a lot of info but are capable to do the job.
New Holland - made by Kobelco?
Kubota - like the bobcat but has the ability to do the job.
IHI - hit and miss
JCB?

With all their positives and negatives what is glaringly obvious is
Must have good dealer support e.g. Great customer service, access to parts that are reasonably priced. No matter the brand or what you use it for this appears key to a good experience
Must have a hydraulic thumb. This mod/option alone sounds like such an increase in ability and versatility that they should be standard issue.

I am in the market for a 3000kg/6600lb machine so I am soaking up as much info as HEF can provide.

Cheers

Anthonycecil

I have a bobcat, and I agree with you about the support and service....been waiting two weeks for my machine e 50 to be returned from a warranty repair to the a/c...They act like they are doing me a favor for standing behind what the warranty states.....A pain.... My Kubota dealer is much more attuned ...Tony

I really like the Bobcat machines. Owned one for years. Recently went to upgrade and tried out an e32 and it was nice and smooth. Easy to run fast with quick work cycles. Smaller than i wanted, so i tried out an e45? i think it was, and it was very slow to respond. Felt like they did something with the controls that gives them a delay.

The biggest thing for me was, over the last few years, any time I needed parts for my Bobcat, I called Kubota and checked the price on the same part. Always dramatically cheaper from Kubota. I would advise anyone to do the same. I went with Kubota. Super nice hoe

bck

kx 121 Kubota. I've ran them all. Fast, strong, great size for towing. Go to the 161 if your truck can take it> Best minis on the market- hands down!

pafarmer

I own a 2012 Bobcat E50 and a 2015 CAT 303.5.....both machines are great offering in my opinion. The CAT I can haul with my diesel pickup and still hit the Pa. Weigh limit so that's a huge plus IMHO and the E50 is for the bigger jobs where brute force and speed are important. My 2 cents..