• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best mini Excavator for the money

Revicm

Occupation
Contractor
mini.jpg

Finally got a pic resized. JD was in the driveway this morning and dropped off the quick attach plate for the auger. Right to the door service. Think I made the right choice. Cat sent me a questionnaire by email asking how my experience was with my request for more info. First contact they made with me. Losers.

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
Nice Machine. thanks for finally posting. For the next picture(s) see if you could move a little further away from it and line up better with the sun so its directly in front of you.........ha ha ha.............Congrats and good luck with it. :Banghead

Revicm

Occupation
Contractor
Took the pic with my phone and I was in a hurry to load the concrete into the front bucket of my backhoe and get it across the field to shore up a culvert. Not much frost up here and it comes out daily it seems. Weird winter.

pafarmer

Occupation
I was just joking with you. I agree, this winter is strange. Warm temperatures. We just got our first decent snow yesterday. Only six inches. Good luck with your new Deere, she's a keeper.

ATM Logic

Wonder if 'we' can get this topic fired up again... Glad to see someone else from Ontario got a machine. Since I don't plan to make money with mine, but save money... I am looking for used. (I have rented the Tak and Kabota's, IMHO the Kabota had much more power for its size. (Other than the Micro Tak that sorry I don't know the model of, but the baby that folds up and fits into doorways)
So, my question is this... I really want the cab as it does seem that every time I have rented its windy, about to rain, a bit of rain, or just cold a bit cold. I don't want to spend a lot, and I agree I want the thumb. I am rather handy so I can fix many issues that come up if I had parts, or can truck it down the hill to the local farmer and he can fix whatever I cannot. What machine would you recommend, and perhaps just as important... where do I buy it? I am looking at 3 or 4 online used iron sites right now. We are in Ontario, but 1/2 hour from the Manitoba border. Happy to drive 1000Miles (1600km) to get the right machine at the right price.

pafarmer

Occupation
http://www.machinerytrader.com/
http://www.rbauction.com/heavy-equipment-auctions
Iron planet is another good site for auction results and sales....

Good baseline here to start your search. Sign up for Richie Brothers Auction and begin your search. Chose a few different models of machine you like and then go slightly below, within and slightly above your price range and then watch Richie brothers for auctions in your area and current wholesale sellign rates. I have purchased numerous machines int he past from Richie Brothers with no issues. They now have inspections and insurance, trucking etc...Quality orginization for sure. With total customer satisfaction as a top priority. you need to keep us informed too as how it goes cause thats what this site is all about. Plenty of good help will follow me on here. Lots of well educated and talented people here much smarter than me to help you out .

Good Luck in your search. I alway felt the search was 40% of the fun in getting new Iron......Running it for the first time is 5 % and then showing my boys to run it was my greatest joy coming in at 55%.........they can operate a machine better than I but don't let them find that little fact out, but I am heads and shoulders above them in mechanical ability on any peice of our equiopment and that allot of Iron. So anyone can run them, few can really operate them and even few yet can fix them when they break and that in a nut shell is what age and experience get you. Oh yeah I also forgot to mention I just completed my second major back surgery too just Saturday and that is another point age gets you too in this business, Old and broken and only scars to show for it all in the end. Go to college young men and women and buy these for fun with all of the extra cash you have on hand from that fancy college education is my advise.but I digress........haha ha

Last edited:

dodgeram22871

Occupation
plantfitter
hitachi /airman airman makes for hitachi upto 5ton . hitachi makes from 5 ton up for airman there a very poplour machine in ireland

melli

Although the original poster has likely already bought...or I forgot what was said, I feel I ought to chime in.
With globalization, I think all the newer machines have converged somewhat (they borrow ideas from each other)...also, having a good dealer/parts source is important for a used/older machine. I don't have the cross platform experience others do, but I do like my Bobcat 331 (2003). A blend of old school heavy metal with modern touches. I like that the shell is 1/4" full metal jacket...occasionally, I bang into things like tree stumps and whatnot, and other than a scuff, all is good. Having an oversized engine, a Kubota is a good thing, as it never groans under load. They are frequently flogged at rental places...if rental shops are good with them...It was how I got hooked on my 331. I rented one several times, and it is still going at that rental shop, even after being totally thrashed by so many test pilots. I must take a picture of it. It looks like it has been in an armed conflict...LOL. Anyways, my machine has been thoroughly used by me for a year (500hrs), and other than a little maintenance, it has performed incredibly well. It has cleared a few acres of BC, in addition, to bread and butter type jobs. It has grunt, especially on bucket and arm. It is highly subjective, I know, but I can easily drag myself around...sometimes not a good thing. Thinking I ought to add some weight to it. Rabbit speed is fast...as long as you have a flat level area to traverse it gets you there quickly.

A few obvious flaws with my machine: the final drive motor covers are poorly designed...not protected enough when driving through shot rock...easily fixable. The copious amounts of metal encasing superstructure requires one to make sure rad is always clean of dust (can run hot because there isn't enough vents or they are too small). Changing hyd filters is very tight...thank god for small hands. If you have AC as I do, pulling floorboards to get at swing motor etc., sucks, as you have to disconnect AC hoses. Real bear to clean innards with all the hoses in hyd compartment...suppose it is like that on all minis. The bulbous rear end makes rear visibility not very good. The newer ones have a weight belt, so the engine lid is smaller so one can see out back better. Slew force is suspect...would have hoped for better...not sure if it is an issue or just the way it is. It seems to be a new feature on newer machines, but an variable angle blade would sure be nice.
2012-10-14 14.40.07 (Custom).jpg

melli

Forgot mention that I paid 17.5k for mine with three buckets...from a value perspective, I'd think it would fare well against other minis. With new ones approaching 60k and beyond, I find it a tough sell when you can get one for almost a quarter of the price of new, albeit, you might find yourself having to fix it. I enjoy tinkering, so it isn't a big issue for me. If I decided I need to sell Bobby, I suspect I could get close to what I paid...

I guess it comes down to whether you can write-off the depreciation. If you are busy busy, then I see new as the way to go (flog it until warranty expires, then sell and go new again). If you are a part timer or it is for personal use, then a well depreciated machine with good bones is the way to go...imho.

I will say a machine with a cab is a must (with AC/Heat), unless you live in perfect climatic zone. Also, I have been saved many times from flinging dirt and branches etc. by having an enclosed cab. Plus, I suspect, I eat less diesel exhaust. That is another downside to some minis...the ones with exhaust straight out rear are not good...would have preferred one that has exhaust going up and out...furthest away from side window and door as possible.

A machine with thumb should be mandatory...I've read folks saying they can do without one...I say hogwash. A thumb saves time and money, and in my case, makes stacking logs a breeze. I can cut smaller logs with thumb into nice sized chunks for ease of disposal. Try stacking rocks without a thumb...exercise in futility.

RENTTHIS

As a rental operator, I have owned many brands. My opinion is that when you leave Kubota, you are going straight downhill. I have people break Kubota equipment but it seldom breaks itself. Anything that holds up to rental use is bulletproof.

AlloaExcavating

I am somewhere between 4-5000 hours on our kx71 . All have been running a breaker . Only have had to replace batteries and only now I'm sending it out for pins and bushings and it doesn't really need them . I swear by kubota minis which is why I bought a u55 and u17 last year.

Junyacipo

HI,
I am a futur owner of compact excavator. I do not have experience in excavator but few in other equipments. I am looking for 12,000 lb equipment.
It is very difficult to find reliable forum for about best choice of compact excavator.
In last stretch line there are three brand , JD 60 D, Kubota KX-57 or Case CX-55.
These brands are they a good choice? Do you have any comments?

Thx

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have run the JD 60D and the CX 50 (I have not run the 55 only did a walk around). I have no experience with Kubota. I liked the ease of entry and exit in the CX 55, I think the CX machine has an excellent control system. The 60D that I demoed was nice as well. Getting in and out was a pain and the price was not even close to CAT or Takeuchi. I ended up buying another Takeuchi TB153 but I had certain criteria for my next machine and that fit the best.

I would demo the machines you want to consider, interview the dealership and determine if you want to deal with them and then sign away.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums Junyacipo!:drinkup

It is very difficult to find reliable forum for about best choice of compact excavator.

Well you just found it. HEF is a wealth of information and there are many threads about mini-excavators.;)